Help me decide

Help Support CattleToday:

Pharmer

Reaction score
I have about six cows that I was planning on selling before winter. I bought them as bred pairs. I have sold the calves and they have since calved the new calves. Would you all sell them as pairs or winter them and sell the calves they have now in spring. I have plenty of other cows and need to reduce my herd a little. Would you sell them as pairs now, or in spring?

You didn't mention why you need to reduce your herd, but I think I would sell them now so as to reduce feed costs over the winter. Just my thoughts.

Pharmer":2810mror said:
I have overgrazed my pasture, and am having to feed a lot of hay and feed.

In that case, I would definitely sell them now. The more feed you put into them the more you need to get out of them, and the higher your expenses are going to be. Granted 6 cows don't amount to all that much, but why spend more? Also, it will reduce wear and tear on the pasture. Again, just my thoughts.

Sounds like you have a deal in the making....with the prices holding, I'd sell them. Up here you could get a few extra $$ by splitting them up. DMc

If you've got the money to winter them and their in good shape then I'd winter them. Six cows shouldn't add up that much and as high as calves are they should surpass any normal winter expenses. By spring they'd be ready to wean and you could then sell your cows as bred cows and keep the calves untill the grass runs out and then sell them. I usually dont go against the grain but I always hate to sell short. If i've got a calf out of a cow then its going to at least 500lbs. before selling, she's only going to give you one a year. If I'm getting rid of a cow then she's going to be bred when I sell her as I hate to take slaughter prices. Granted there are always exceptions such as cashflow, pasture conditions and health issues but this is a very slow return business and one needs to get as much possible when it comes to selling. Best of luck!

Rod":2ixbfqbm said:
If you've got the money to winter them and their in good shape then I'd winter them. Six cows shouldn't add up that much and as high as calves are they should surpass any normal winter expenses. By spring they'd be ready to wean and you could then sell your cows as bred cows and keep the calves untill the grass runs out and then sell them. I usually dont go against the grain but I always hate to sell short. If i've got a calf out of a cow then its going to at least 500lbs. before selling, she's only going to give you one a year. If I'm getting rid of a cow then she's going to be bred when I sell her as I hate to take slaughter prices. Granted there are always exceptions such as cashflow, pasture conditions and health issues but this is a very slow return business and one needs to get as much possible when it comes to selling. Best of luck!

Might want to re-read the thread. He's already stated that he overgrazed his pastures.

I'd sell the for several reasons:

You'll need much more feed/hay for these with newer calves than just a regular cow coasting along pregnant.

The price (at least around here) for cow calf pairs is very good; and potential buyers will know that your not passing on a problem since they have a calf at their side.

There are quite a few people selling cows now due to the lack of rain in some areas, but if you sell before they start to lose condition, you've got an advantage.

Rod":2i9bzisg said:

Rod, Arkansas has had a drought this year. The people who normally sell hay have either baled less than normal or turned their cows in their fields and people who normally do not feed hay until now, or later if they planted winter grazing, have been feeding hay since July or August. Unless you buy up all the hay you can find NOW so that you can carry your cows all the way to April this is the time to sell; because the real operators know that most cattlemen and horse owners will pay out the wazoo before they let their animals starve and the price will keep climbing. I don't know how bad things are; but I have seen hay go to $55 a roll (normally $18-25) in late winter in bad droughts here. Commercial buyers like road builders, home builders, and strip mine reclaimers will keep buying hay as mulch to plant their grass no matter how high it gets and somebody is going to get the shaft before March.

Believe me the droughts not been good but I have got 4 cuttings this year. We always seemed to get the rain before it was too late. I know up north and some south of here it was worse. Most people here have alot of hay left over from last year and the years before so there shouldn't be alot of price increases.

As far his pasture being bad if there's enough hay out then I wouldn't see six extra cows really doing any damage.

Latest posts