help me decide..steers/heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
alright heres what i got.

5 steers ranging from 8 mo to 1 1/2 yr. been holding em for selling as grass finished beef cuz i make about 300 more than i do at the market and i get half for my freezer but....cust base has slowed quite a bit and even at 3$ lb hangin im havin troubles gettin commitments from people...so...im thinkin bout haulin em to the markt and getting (last week) .95 lb for em.

heifers same size goin for .85 no profit really but i do get another producer instead of another steer...

hang onto em til the end of summer cuz i wont sell em after the grass is off as beef..and see if they sell or try to sell em now and get some hiefers before fall...

decisions decisions...

I'd sell the steers. Personally I prefer heifers because if you can't sell them for meat, they can always be sold for breeding, or kept for expanding your own herd. Plus they'll finish about 100 pounds lighter than their mother. Steers finish about 100 pounds heavier than their mother.

brandonm_13":12yrl0vp said:
I'd sell the steers. Personally I prefer heifers because if you can't sell them for meat, they can always be sold for breeding, or kept for expanding your own herd. Plus they'll finish about 100 pounds lighter than their mother. Steers finish about 100 pounds heavier than their mother.
Smart Thinkin !!! :tiphat:

takina big hit moneywise at the market tho..got plenty of grass and 2 mos to try to sell em as beef...but i could use some cashflo..if i got a grand for em i could actually say that the cows are supporting themselves for a change.

for now anyways...