help me compare dewormers

Help Support CattleToday:

mel8030

Reaction score
Help me compare Ivermectin, doramectin and moxidectin
it appears they have have similar results. ivermectin has the lowest effective life. Why is it still popular?
pour on also works for flies?

Ivermectin is cheaper because their are several generics. It's been on the market for over 25 years.

In my experience, the fly control from any of the pour-on wormers is short lived.

This year, for the first time I am using Cylence pour-on for fies and I have used Cydectin for worming for several years. Am happy with both. Yes, I apply both at the same time.

I have used Cydectin,Ivomec,Eprinex and generic ivermectin.I seem to get the longest lasting lice control with Cydectin.The horn fly control seems to be good with Ivomec.I also like Cydectin for being able to work cattle without having to worry about them not getting wey soon after working.That said,I use Ivomec about as much as any.

We like cydectin, used it for several years for worming. For strictly fly control, we tried
a new one this year called Elector, and really like it. Between it and the treated mineral,
( and other usual methods like manure management) flies are a lot easier to control this year.
Keeps working a long time too.

My vet tells me that cattle are now resistant to ivomec. I don't know if he means this applies to cattle in my region or all over the world or what. Anyhoo he said don't waste my money on ivomec and told me to use cydectin INJECTIBLE. He said that is the best coverage available. I trust him, he's a cattleman.

I use Cydectin also...but all good name brand wormers are good....alternate from time to time and you'll still get results. I'm sure the vet wants you to use whatever the pharmacutical companies are paying him to promote.

I am concerned over how easily the thread about wormers morphed into a thread about fly control.

they are two seperate issues and should be dealt with spearately.

pour on wormers do have some inital fly control benefits but that is not what they are for. I would think pure economics would sort that out. None of these wormers are cheap.

If my cows had to rely on me putting them thru the alley every so often to pour on fly control then the dang flys could tote em away.

I have adopted the IGR mineral this year because my new neighbor uses it. so far i am happy with it and do feel that it is doing a good bit of good. I am even putting it in the horse feed and they have less flies as well. We generally have short and mild winters with the last one being the exception that proves the rule. So I intend to keep my critters on the IGR mineral year round to avoid having seed manure to let flies get started in the spring. we can have a warm day in January and flies will appear by magic.

I have always put an ounce of mineral in the daily horse ration so the only chenge was in the mineral used.

My only other fly control has been back rubbers charged weekly and located where the animals will use them. My bull calves sleep under the one in their shade. this is because My biggest fly nuisance is the large biting flies like the green head and the b52 horse fly. not much seems to deter them other than mashing. The diesel fuel rubbers with some fly stuff in them give them a little protection.

As Texasbred says rotating the product used is the most important part of worm control. Use anything steadily and biology will develop a resistance to it.

Same thing is beginning to happen to LA200 and its peers. peopel use it for everything from bovine athletes foot to altzimers and biology is beginning to become reisistant. Same as humans going to the doctor for antibiotic for cold and flu. antibiotics don't phase viruses and the bacteria get stronger by exposure to the antibiotics.

I dread the day when cydectin effectiveness starts to fail because there have been no new ones since it came out.

Ivomec and cydectin and Dectomax are the ones I use in rotation.

Latest posts