HELP! (I'm not Chris with Nose sores)

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My 6 month old calf was dehorned and received 1st vaccinations on Sat afternoon. She had a 3way and a 7 way shots, not Bruc. vaccine (vet had to order it). She was punky yesterday morning, around noon her temp was 104.2. She has had a temp of 104 before with various health issues, but it has always cycled lower once night came and would usually be about 100 or a bit lower at dawn. I took it again around 8pm, 10 pm, and now 3:30 am. It is 105. I give her water and it will lower back down to 104.2 or 104.4. My question, is her body reacting to the vaccine and it needs to keep making antibodies? I'm calling the vet in 3 hours, but hoped Dun or someone would see this. Although I weaned her about a month ago, to get water into her, I mixed milk replacer with coolish water and gave it in the bottle. She downed it like there was no tomorrow. She is still eating hay and grain, drinking water from the pail, pooping and peeing, but I wanted to get the extra liquids in her with the high fever. I hoope I don't add bloat or scours to the mix with the decision of giving her the bottle. I should have thought of elecctrolytes. Do I just buy pedialyte? Thanks

[email protected]

I couldn't find the other recipes for homemade electrolytes but maybe this will help.

<A HREF="http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache:XRgMzffeiF0C:www.uky.edu/Agriculture/AnimalSciences/dairy/extension/nut00109.pdf+calf+scours+electrolyte+recipe&hl=en&ie=UTF-8" TARGET="_blank">http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache:XRgMzffeiF0C:www.uky.edu/Agriculture/AnimalSciences/dairy/extension/nut00109.pdf+calf+scours+electrolyte+recipe&hl=en&ie=UTF-8</A>

dun

> My 6 month old calf was dehorned
> and received 1st vaccinations on
> Sat afternoon. She had a 3way and
> a 7 way shots, not Bruc. vaccine
> (vet had to order it). She was
> punky yesterday morning, around
> noon her temp was 104.2. She has
> had a temp of 104 before with
> various health issues, but it has
> always cycled lower once night
> came and would usually be about
> 100 or a bit lower at dawn. I took
> it again around 8pm, 10 pm, and
> now 3:30 am. It is 105. I give her
> water and it will lower back down
> to 104.2 or 104.4. My question, is
> her body reacting to the vaccine
> and it needs to keep making
> antibodies? I'm calling the vet in
> 3 hours, but hoped Dun or someone
> would see this. Although I weaned
> her about a month ago, to get
> water into her, I mixed milk
> replacer with coolish water and
> gave it in the bottle. She downed
> it like there was no tomorrow. She
> is still eating hay and grain,
> drinking water from the pail,
> pooping and peeing, but I wanted
> to get the extra liquids in her
> with the high fever. I hoope I
> don't add bloat or scours to the
> mix with the decision of giving
> her the bottle. I should have
> thought of elecctrolytes. Do I
> just buy pedialyte? Thanks

chris I just got my first calf 7 months ago and have 3 now. I can't help with much BUT I can offer some advice NEVER EVER use medicated milk replacer it really runs a calf down. It kills all the bacteria in thair stomach'S they act just like a sick kid with a stomach ache. non medicated whey based NOT SOY based costs more but you dont want the headache's

[email protected]

Surprisingly enough, most people feed medicated milk replacer and feel that it is much better for the calf. The amount of antibiotics in it are low enough to not affect digestion, but high enough to prevent or control some other diseases. But you are correct in the milk based versus soy based products. Although I just saw positive comments about feeding milk based for 4 weeks then switching to soy based.

dun

> chris I just got my first calf 7
> months ago and have 3 now. I can't
> help with much BUT I can offer
> some advice NEVER EVER use
> medicated milk replacer it really
> runs a calf down. It kills all the
> bacteria in thair stomach'S they
> act just like a sick kid with a
> stomach ache. non medicated whey
> based NOT SOY based costs more but
> you dont want the headache's