Help I'm ignorant

Help Support CattleToday:

Great advise boondocks on the rabies vacs. (It saved my animals once.) I bet Sky had wished his cattle had it also this year.
I have not been vaccinating for it here where I live now. We have not had any cases around. But I may rethink that.

Bigcheese wrote:
LA 200 takes care of most viruses and infections that pop up.

Please note, antibiotics DO NOT "take care of viruses." They are only effective on bacterial infections that are sensitive to them. It is important to have a good idea of what you are treating before using an antibiotic, as to not contribute to creating resistant organisms.

rjgollogly":3kupidx1 said:
What is the concern to start vaccinating? Are you running into issues? Too often some are convinced to spend money on fixing issues the wrong way instead of solving them at the front end. How is your nutrition program? Are the cattle getting what they need? I don't vaccinate for anything and have been fortunate to not have any problems. But, that being said I have an impeccable nutrition program developed to keep those cattle at their peak at all times. I'm not saying don't vaccinate, but I am saying make sure you are confident with what is going in your cattle before you start filling them up with something they might not need.
I don't think that anyone will disagree with you that nutrition is very important to the health of our livestock. However, no nutrition program can prevent all diseases that we vaccinate for. It only takes one major exposure to wipe out your herd, (or at least put a dent in it.)
I flood irrigate. The water that comes into my pasture has traveled across other ranches to get here. It could carry a host of diseases from other cattle to mine.
I share a fence line with other ranches. I can't keep their flys and Mosquitos on their side of the fence, no matter how hard I try.
I live on a very old home site, where many years of cattle have grazed. I can't control what is already in my ground that can later get stirred up and ingested.
These are just a few reasons that I vaccinate. I could name a few more, but those should be good.

branguscowgirl":3dl8o8dq said:
Bigcheese wrote:
LA 200 takes care of most viruses and infections that pop up.

Please note, antibiotics DO NOT "take care of viruses." They are only effective on bacterial infections that are sensitive to them. It is important to have a good idea of what you are treating before using an antibiotic, as to not contribute to creating resistant organisms.
viewtopic.php?t=43342