Help! I'm giving a presentation to kindergardeners....

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Tomorrow, I have to give a presentation (4 times) to kindergardeners on farm animals. The teacher thought it would be wonderful for me to bring some "big needles and cow medicine" but gosh, that just won't take up 30 minutes! I don't have any kid related materials as handouts on farm animal (everything I can find is basically about pets...) and I need something I can copy for these little guys--ages 4 to 6.

Also, any ideas as to topics to discuss would be great! I'm used to presenting topics to farmers on disease, or short (ie 5 minute) presentations to kids, but I'm at a bit of a loss here!

Any and all help is appreciated!

Vicki the Vet, who just remembered this a few minutes ago...

Vicki,
maybe this will help. coloring books, games, you name it they got it:

http://www.alphabet-soup.net/farm/farm.html

http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Tower/1217/animal1.html
(geared toward first grade but close enough!)

t.asp

What about "basic care" feeding,shelter.... How important it is to take good care of them for them to stay healthy. How each type of animal requires different feeds etc. Maybe bring a calf bottle to explain how to feed an orphan calf? How about a game of guessing all the types of farm animals? Bring a balling gun with some aspirin bolus and maybe some hoof tools for cows and horses?

dd":1zavd84i said:
Ask them for their questions.

I agree- You may not be able to answer some of the ones you get asked (or at least with a straight face), but I quarantee a group that age can ask enough questions to handle your time period.

Well, it's over! I took in some of the "tools of the trade" and gave a talk on cow care. The size of the suture needles blew them away, and the stomach tube, hoof trimmers...

I ended up talking to 8 kindergarten classes, most of whom had never seen a live cow up close. They're going to visit a dairy farm this week so my talk was a warm up for them...

Thanks everyone for the help!
V

Vicki the Vet":pdsaou3k said:
Well, it's over! I took in some of the "tools of the trade" and gave a talk on cow care. The size of the suture needles blew them away, and the stomach tube, hoof trimmers...

I ended up talking to 8 kindergarten classes, most of whom had never seen a live cow up close. They're going to visit a dairy farm this week so my talk was a warm up for them...

Thanks everyone for the help!
V

my 8th grade daughter came home from school a couple of weeks back just a laughing. it was career day at school and our local large animal vet had been to their school that day. he showed them the usual.. syringes and things.. then he pull out one of those sleeve length plastic gloves and asked them if they knew what it was for?? LOL my daughter was too shy to answer, but got a kick out of the other kids grossing out after he told them what it was for.. her friends were amazed that she knew about that kind of thing as she told them about checking cows and pulling calves etc..

thankful to be able to raise cattle..

jt

Latest posts