Help Identify the breed mix

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I bought these three steers at a sale barn. They averaged 550 lbs. when these pics were taken. I wormed them and they have since slicked up on their hair. It looks to me like they are black angus cross but I do not know what with. Anyone care to help out this beginner?

MVC-030S.jpg

all 3 look llike angus to me as well.if theres a mix in there i cant see it.scott

With the amount of red showing through I thought that they may have a mix of Limo or red angus somewhere. I'm still learning how to pick out traits that indicate possible breed mixes. Once they slicked off they turned more black and less red.

The long hair on the winter coat tend to be more redish on most every animal.

heck they are mostly black! call em angus, after all anything with black in it has to have SOME angus it it :D
don't beleive me ask the angus folks on the board

preston39":1baojdy9 said:
Hoss,
I think you are correct. I wold guess black and red Angus mix. Nice calves..and a good mix.

Help me understand this.

i'd say plain ol angus. as far as the kinky brownish fur, thats pretty typcial of straight angus too.

Beefy":2wdxmqad said:
i'd say plain ol angus. as far as the kinky brownish fur, thats pretty typcial of straight angus too.

Good to know. We ain't never had straight breed angus. As you know Black Lim's will do that. Just never figured that for angus.

they could very well have black or red limi in them, but i doubt it. they look more like straight angus to me. going by the head again and hair. but i cant see their butts either. if they have anything other than angus in them it would be lim, i would imagine.

Beefy":1tcx3y0r said:
they could very well have black or red limi in them, but i doubt it. they look more like straight angus to me. going by the head again and hair. but i cant see their butts either. if they have anything other than angus in them it would be lim, i would imagine.

Maybe so.

I have two herds one herd is red Limo. The other has all three of the major breeds. The three major breeds are red ens, black ens, and white ens. If you cross the white ens with the black ens you get some brown ens. Some of the red ens are part white ens. They are about 2% white ens. Normally this 2% shows up on the face.

Bama":34w7oyrw said:
I have two herds one herd is red Limo. The other has all three of the major breeds. The three major breeds are red ens, black ens, and white ens. If you cross the white ens with the black ens you get some brown ens. Some of the red ens are part white ens. They are about 2% white ens. Normally this 2% shows up on the face.

Glad to see you still run Lim's.

Do you strive to get white and yellow?

Latest posts