Help, I Need a New Digital Camera!

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I need a new digital Camera. The one I have is over 10 years old. Just like my cell phone as the front screen has gone blank. I have to open it up to see who is calling.
If you have time, tell me what kind of digital camera you have. I have no idea where to start.... My pictures are losing their sharpness.

Wife has a Nikon D3000 and really likes it. I guess there is a little learning curve going from a point and shoot type but she got it figured out.

When you say learning curve, you are scaring me! :lol2: I know that Nikon makes a great camera. Got a picture? Make sure you have your clothes on, as my posts disappear regularly. :lol2:

I had the EOS 650 digital for years. (35 mm). Managed to get several pictures published. Thru the years I had acquired several lenses and multipliers. In the end I had more nickels tied up in assessories than I did the camera.

All of my lenses and attachments fit the canon EOS digital. My ex bought me that for my 25th anniversary. I have really liked it. I have not been happy with the batteries. There a special type. Expensive. I have three. Can't get thru a soccer game with one. Of course I am shooting hundreds of pictures. When I get a new battery, it has enough life. After a while it gets weak.

James T":3tap0jmw said:
The Canon Rebel (digital) is hard to beat!

X2 or 3, great simple camera, I have one. But I have an iPhone 4 cell phone that is always with me and takes great quick pics. So you may want to think about a good quality cell phone that takes good quality pics. :2cents: As stated my phone is always with me .... Like a good dog. :lol:

Chuckie,

I sell cameras for a living. What kind of camera are you picturing? A skinny one you can fit in your pocket, one that has a big zoom to reach across the field and look at the flies on the cow, or one that you can change lenses on to fit the right occasion? Most of the suggestions so far are for the last option. Digital SLR's are asbolutely great, but if you are only going to use the lens that comes with it because you just want to snap simple pictures in automatic mode, there's not really any reason to go that far. If you let us know what you are picturing in a camera and then what it will be used for, then the suggestions will be a lot more useful.

You came along at the right time asf!
I want a camera that will zoom. I don't want to spend a crazy amount for one, but I don't want a cheap one that I wish I had of spent more money and got a good one.

I have not thought about the size of it, but one that does not feel awkward in my hand.

What kind of camera are you talking about with an interchangeable lens? What are the prices on this kind of camera?

Loooong ago, I had a 30 MM camera when there was no such thing as digital. I had different lenses for it, and it took beautiful pictures. I did enjoy that camera a lot.

I am scared to hear the price..... :cry2: I might can only afford a "Brownie."

Here would be my 3 suggestions. Look at these three different styles and if you see the style you have in mind, I can suggest alternatives to my initial suggestion within that style if you'd like.

Here is a small point and shoot camera with great zoom that takes great shots, the Panasonic ZS25: http://smile.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-Z ... words=ZS25

That also happens to be the only one that I have any kind of great deal on. If you click on the Refurbished, you will see Roberts, who has the best price and that includes a Panasonic case and SD card. I can tell you these are brand new returned from a big box store and put into a brown box. Please do not feel like I am trying to give a hard sell, its just a great value on a good point and shoot camera.

Here is option two: Nikon L830, a bigger point and shoot camera with an even larger optical zoom and big rear LCD: http://smile.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-D ... words=L830

Lastly, the best entry level value for a Digital SLR in my opinion is the Nikon D3200 bundle with the 55-200mm lens. This gives you two lenses to get started and is a real nice SLR with great video options: http://smile.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-C ... ords=D3200

The bottom camera sounds really nice, but I don't want to sink that much money in a camera at this time.

Tell me about the top two cameras, and I want the one that takes the best picture with some zoom to bring a picture in a bit closer if I need it.

The Panasonic and the Nikon COOLPIX. Which one would you purchase and why?

Chuckie, This last year when my wife wanted a new camera I agreed and we started looking. I had in my mind that it would be around 200 bucks. when she picked the Nikon d3100 I almost had a stroke. 500 bucks for a camera- I figured she must have got a job with national geographic on the side I didn't know about. anyway I bit my lip and bought it. It has been worth every penny. I take a photo of every calf that is born for my records and doing it with my phone was fine until we started using the new camera. The clarity is phenomenal and I know now I would not have been satisfied with a point and shoot. I am getting her another lens for Christmas this year.
think about when you had a 35mm and the cost of developing and such. it is actually a bargain.

M5, Isnt it amazing how a decent camera can make it look like we know what we are doing? I personally am not a photographer by any stretch. I just happen to sell cameras. That being said, I can take a decent pic with my D40 (the older version of your wife's camera) but I can also take a good shot with a good point and shoot. What is the next lens you plan to get for it?

Chuckie, here is the one main consideration between the ZS25 and L830: does the size of the actual camera matter to you? If it does, the ZS25 is the best combo of something small that has a large enough sensor and good glass that it will work. If the size doesn't matter (haha) go with the L830. It has a huge screen on the back that is really nice, a bigger zoom, and takes great video. If you need HUGE zooming ability and size doesn't matter, then the other camera I would compare the L830 to would be the FZ70: http://smile.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-F ... words=FZ70

All that being said, the zoom of the L830 is more than enough for most situations and I know the price mattered to you. You can't beat the value of what you get from a camera at under $200 from the L830 deal currently. I hope I've helped somewhat.

Alan":1013exo2 said:
James T":1013exo2 said:
The Canon Rebel (digital) is hard to beat!

X2 or 3, great simple camera, I have one. But I have an iPhone 4 cell phone that is always with me and takes great quick pics. So you may want to think about a good quality cell phone that takes good quality pics. :2cents: As stated my phone is always with me .... Like a good dog. :lol:

I have the XTi version of the Rebel and there's been no problems with it. Had an off brand telephoto lens but it finally went kaput. I'm hoping backhoe will donate all of those extra lenses he has :D . Thought about about buying a Canon long range telephoto lense until I saw the price tags.

Your right about the phone camera's. The quality of pictures has risen dramatically over the last few years and the one on my Samsung Galaxy Note does a nice job for quick snap shots.