Help I’m to stupid for gripples

Help Support CattleToday:

Tonka

Reaction score
Ran my first line of fixed knot yesterday. First time doing a gut strain, and first time using gripples . Small learning curve , so next one should go easier.
Anyhow I'm hoping I didn't put my Gripple T clips on upside down. Does it matter which way they go ? I ran the dead end under the line and folded it back over the top. :???:

I usually run the tail over, and fold it down.....But I can't see where it would affect performance either way. How'd you like the wire?

Like I said totally new system for me hopefully things go smoother next go round.
Unroller hung 40' out goofing up a couple of knots . I didn't allow myself enough room on the gut strain so had to Gripple off and reset a stretcher bar. Trying to figure how tight to strain without breaking something . Tried a few Fastlok splices ; I tore 2 out of 8 of them up.
Cut my thumb wide open on your barbed staples. Liked the gloves ,
obviously wasn't wearing them !
Wire was fine, and 1 line is complete.

I have found a lot of uses for Gripples. Yesterday, I used sections of tornado barb wire to clamp a pipe to a fence post.

Tclips
I don't use them on a barbwire fence. On 12" stay net I only use them on the bottom wire. But on the tighter spaced netwires I use them on everything.

There is no upside down that I can see.
I clip them on the wire and run the tag through. My son runs the tag through first. At first we would clip the tag about a inch and fold it over. We've gone to just cutting it off as close as possible.

Fits a pipe post like it was made for it.

Tonka":14p5b342 said:
Like I said totally new system for me hopefully things go smoother next go round.
Unroller hung 40' out goofing up a couple of knots . I didn't allow myself enough room on the gut strain so had to Gripple off and reset a stretcher bar. Trying to figure how tight to strain without breaking something . Tried a few Fastlok splices ; I tore 2 out of 8 of them up.

Can't help with most of that, but you want to stretch the wire until about 1/2 of the tension curve is pulled out. That will yield 350-400 lbs per line wire. With boundary strainers, it's one hand tight on each one, which is certainly more than 600 kg per strainer. I've never asked the official reason for the low rating, but I'd speculate that the "don't use a cheater pipe" bit has something to do with it. They print 600kg.....fencers read 6000kg. FWIW, I pegged a tension gauge with a single strand chain strainer yesterday.....just to see what'd happen. It was uneventful.
Dump a cup of water in your staples and keep the bucket in the back of your truck. They'll oxidize and dull down a little with the bouncing of the truck. We always keep a few buckets in the truck for a break in period. :lol:

Farm Fence Solutions":1iyvjdh1 said:
Tonka":1iyvjdh1 said:

Can't help with most of that, but you want to stretch the wire until about 1/2 of the tension curve is pulled out. That will yield 350-400 lbs per line wire. With boundary strainers, it's one hand tight on each one, which is certainly more than 600 kg per strainer. I've never asked the official reason for the low rating, but I'd speculate that the "don't use a cheater pipe" bit has something to do with it. They print 600kg.....fencers read 6000kg. FWIW, I pegged a tension gauge with a single strand chain strainer yesterday.....just to see what'd happen. It was uneventful.
Dump a cup of water in your staples and keep the bucket in the back of your truck. They'll oxidize and dull down a little with the bouncing of the truck. We always keep a few buckets in the truck for a break in period. :lol:

I strongly suspect the same could be said for the ton rating on a come along.
I think both have something left in the tank. I mean I'm pulling mine with a truck or tractor. All are adequate in pulling power. It's about preference.
Like dodge vs Isuzu... ;-)

Farm Fence Solutions":1chjmzgx said:
Tonka":1chjmzgx said:

A bit hard to tell from the picture but do you not figure 8 wrap your brace wire?

fence_it":orq8snqv said:
Farm Fence Solutions":orq8snqv said:
Tonka":orq8snqv said:

A bit hard to tell from the picture but do you not figure 8 wrap your brace wire?

If using a Gripple or a crimp, yes. When we hand knot one, you need a way to take up the tension that is lost in the knot, so it's just 3 plain loops, and pulled together in the middle to snug it back to tight. We have another version for a horse "safer" brace, but that'll have to wait for another day.

I had 2 gripples slip today on 15.5ga Goucho barbed. I had left about 3" sticking out and it was down to 1" before I stopped with the tensioning. I was just pulling with the gripple tool since it was only about 50' run on a repair job I was helping with on neighbor's fence. The wire didn't pull completely out but I could see it move on both of them.
Is this very abnormal?

(I did find out, that old rusty 12 ga barbed 'will' go in a barb wire gripple for 15.5 but barely and is a pita to get in but it didn't slip--his fence is more splices than fence, and 3-4 different kinds of wire)

Latest posts