help hydraulic hook ups

Help Support CattleToday:

Douglas

Reaction score
Rented the no-till drill this weekend. Could on get only one hose connected to the tractor but everything worked fine. Then I got the bright idea to try the second one again and it went in. Everything seemed fine. Then when turning around I could not get the drill lowered back. The top hose had popped out. I can't get it back in or the other one out.
This is the first time I have used these rear hydraulic hook ups since I had then put on.

Any ideas on how to get the other hose back in. Do I need to reduce the pressure somehow?

Easier hooking them up without the engine running. Also after you shut the engine down work the levers several time to bleed any pressure off. Sometimes they can just be stubborn.

Added: I'm assuming you understand how to release/give slack to the little ballbearings on the tractor coupler (depends on your tractor how this is done) to accept the coupler on the equipment.

1982vett":s4dj9lqa said:
Easier hooking them up without the engine running. Also after you shut the engine down work the levers several time to bleed any pressure off. Sometimes they can just be stubborn.

I have an old Farmall M that reacts the same way on my Heston mower. I do what Vett said and it works evry time. of course a few cuss words have to be added to help or it just wouldnt be the same. :D

You may need to bleed the pressure off of the no till drill hose as well.

Easiest way is to tap the middle(center) of the male fitting against the drill. Tap it (fairly hard) till some fluid squirts out. May have to do it a couple of times. If the preesure is in the tractor hydraulics take something that will fit inside the female connector and tap the center pice of the fitting. That should squirt some fluid too. When the pressure is reduce on both pieces it will pop right back in

dun":3i07mplm said:
Easiest way is to tap the middle(center) of the male fitting against the drill. Tap it (fairly hard) till some fluid squirts out. May have to do it a couple of times. If the preesure is in the tractor hydraulics take something that will fit inside the female connector and tap the center pice of the fitting. That should squirt some fluid too. When the pressure is reduce on both pieces it will pop right back in
That is exactly what i had to do. My first time using these hook ups.

Also in colder temps they do not want to connect and stay in. Dun and Vette have it right though.

You may have to replace your couplers on your tractor as they do wear out. I replaced mine last year as I had a beotch of a time hooking up my tub grinder even after I bled everything off. They still do not want to connect in -25 or below.

dun":21fbwyab said:

That's what I have to do all the time with mine. If you've got pressure on the equipment end (male), you'll never get them to stay in.

crimsoncrazy":3kdu8dt2 said:
It also helps if before unhooking it when your finishing turn the tractor off and work the lever a few times before unhooking.

Didn't mention but it is helpful to avoid line pressure. When unhooking or hooking up I always put the levers into float position.

One always works easy. Then you can push the lever the opposite way and get the other one. It is the same on every implement I own. It is all about hydraulic pressure on those fittings. You (I) never know which one will be easy and which one will be tough. I just get the one that goes and then go opposite with the hydraulic lever and then spring return to detent. The only bad part is crawling in and out of that tractor cab.

backhoeboogie":3kxxwkdf said:
The only bad part is crawling in and out of that tractor cab.
That's the reson I just tap it to relieve the pressure. It's a lot faster and easier on my bones then climbing in and out of the tractor

dun":ojvhrsd0 said:
backhoeboogie":ojvhrsd0 said:
That's the reson I just tap it to relieve the pressure. It's a lot faster and easier on my bones then climbing in and out of the tractor

execpt you get covered in oil every time you tap the coupler

c farmer":z1a36309 said:
dun":z1a36309 said:
backhoeboogie":z1a36309 said:

That happened to me the first time and now i cover it with a cloth first.

c farmer":zpg95yr1 said:
dun":zpg95yr1 said:
backhoeboogie":zpg95yr1 said:

You just have to learn how to tap better :D

Latest posts