Help hydraulic hook ups

Help Support CattleToday:

Douglas

Reaction score
Rented the no-till drill this weekend. Could on get only one hose connected to the tractor but everything worked fine. Then I got the bright idea to try the second one again and it went in. Everything seemed fine. Then when turning around I could not get the drill lowered back. The top hose had popped out. I can't get it back in or the other one out.
This is the first time I have used these rear hydraulic hook ups since I had then put on.

Any ideas on how to get the other hose back in. Do I need to reduce the pressure somehow?

You may need to bleed off the pressure of the no till drill hose before it will recouple.

Bleed the pressure or run the drill up on something to get the pressure to nutral.( not the wheel the discs or planters) Shut of the engine work lever B4 hooking up.

If the couplings have just been added to your tractor are they lever couplings or just standard couplings?

Thanks guys i figured it out with the a little help of a friend. I had to hit the small ball on the end of one hose connection to release enough pressure to plug it back in. I couldn't get any fluid out until i hit it with a hammer. I then covered it with a rag and hit it a few more times and got it the pressure off.

Just push the check ball on the hyd connector against the tractor drawbar to relieve the pressure, just be careful about the fluid spraying out.

cowsrus":4bqdhae1 said:
Just push the check ball on the hyd connector against the tractor drawbar to relieve the pressure, just be careful about the fluid spraying out.

I have found that the fluid has protected against premature hair loss, but it does sting the eyes and doesn't taste very nice.

My Massey 1105 has a float position for the valves which helps alot while my White does not and sometimes that is just a bare to connect and disconnect my equipment. I have alot less problems now that I switched from using the junky TSC brand Pioneer couplers and now use Tsnucci or Weatherhead couplers, they just seem to connect and disconnect easier for me. When I rent my Conservation Districts no till JD drill with my White I could not operate the markers until I switched couplers on my tractor. I know all the major manufacturers use Pioneer but they just don' seem to work well and leak for me.

AngusLimoX":3vth889k said:
I have found that the fluid has protected against premature hair loss, but it does sting the eyes and doesn't taste very nice.

It is good for skin conditioning or ring worm treatment also!

hayray":1yipqliv said:
My Massey 1105 has a float position for the valves which helps alot while my White does not and sometimes that is just a bare to connect and disconnect my equipment. I have alot less problems now that I switched from using the junky TSC brand Pioneer couplers and now use Tsnucci or Weatherhead couplers, they just seem to connect and disconnect easier for me. When I rent my Conservation Districts no till JD drill with my White I could not operate the markers until I switched couplers on my tractor. I know all the major manufacturers use Pioneer but they just don' seem to work well and leak for me.
I have never had the coupling leak with pioneer, maybe your female couplers on the tractor are junk and needed replacement.

BE CAREFUL,

A local farmer hit the end with a hammer, or hit the end on something...do not remember...to release the pressure on the hydralics. The force of the oil coming out and hitting his eye caused severe damage where he spent several days in the hospital, several months unable to lift over 10 pounds and subsequent eye surgery to rebuild or replace the some thing in the internal of the eye. Cornia or lens...i think lens.
Any how he had taken off his glasses for a split second.
His wife had to take over calving, feeding etc. the 400 head farm, see to the kids - schooling and all-, take a leave of absence from her work as a nurse, and get her father to come in and help when he, who had his own farm to run could. The neighbors pitched in, however the stress of an injured husband, seeing to both hers and his tasks was a stressfull time
FARM SAFETY FOLKS

That is a good point about the safety. If I have to get to that point I get the wrenches out and turn the male end a little to release pressure, seems alot safer.

AngusLimoX wrote:

I have found that the fluid has protected against premature hair loss

It did not work for me 8)

AngusLimoX wrote:

but it does sting the eyes and doesn't taste very nice

How true.

Bez+

Bez+":1wzpmtpv said:
AngusLimoX wrote:

I have found that the fluid has protected against premature hair loss

It did not work for me 8)

AngusLimoX wrote:

but it does sting the eyes and doesn't taste very nice

How true.

Bez+
Anybody have any idea what it tastes like? :p

1982vett":1vxrqd5p said:
Anybody have any idea what it tastes like? :p

A lot like a dusky, ripe , low viscosity motor oil with just a hint of hydraulic hose. Not entirely nauseating but with the right vintage, very entertaining.
( Entertaining as in running your tongue up and down your sleeve for several minutes ). :mrgreen:

Bez, to prevent hair loss ya gotta rub it in if you are not applying it direct at 3000 psi. And if it is too late - there is always this >> :cboy:

RR - are you one of those folks that writes farm magazines asking they not show pictures of children riding or near farm equipment for "safety" reasons ? :wave:

AngusLimoX":39xjsb2q said:
:welcome: RR - are you one of those folks that writes farm magazines asking they not show pictures of children riding or near farm equipment for "safety" reasons ? :wave:

No, But if you were to ask my husband, I am very much for farm safety. I give my father in law the dickens when he gets of the tractor (rear exit) and baler with the PTO engaged with loose pant legs
Hubby gets the dickens when grinding with out googles or glasses and ear protectors. Or rolling grain in a barn with out ear protectors and a mask...loud machine...not so much any more as there are googles and ear protecters at several work areas around the farm now. And he uses them faithfully.
I saw what a farm injury such as hydraulic oil in the eye does to a family. It was difficult and stressful.
I've seen battery acid in an eye. A few near misses with hands, father in law with "farmer's lung" from not wearing a mask when working with grain dust. An older lady in the area was mauld by a cow while checking her sons cattle during calving. She was killed and her son found her. I have been beaten by a cow, and thankfully there was two feet of snow to cushion me when she fell on me. I was lucky, hubby was scared and the dogs could not get her off me while i took a pounding by her. A friend nearly died by starting a tractor while standing on the ground by the rear wheel, not realizing the tractor was in gear. When he released the clutch he was holding on to with his hand he was ran over by the tractor. The tractor ran over his head, back hips and legs. It was no small tractor, middle of winter middle of nowhere feeding cattle. It took everything he had to crawl on to the snow machine and drive acrross the lake to home. He had no strength to get off the machine so had to call his to his wife in the dead of winter who was inside the house. His kids and wife found him nearly dead.
Another friend, well not a friend really, co worker, decided to get on the ladder and sweep of the grain bin so they could open the lid or something for some reason. He did not wait for his brother to hold the ladder, got on top of the bin, slipped on the light dusting of snow, fell and broke his ankle. Now that does not seem like much, and you might say he got off lucky with a broken ankle. However, it did not mend, and after a year of trying to get it to mend, it was amputated below the knee. Three years later, he was able to get back on a tractor and work on the farm
These accidents happened while doing everyday chores on the farm by people who knew what they were doing, expereinced farmers like you and I.
My point is, we only get one chance to do it right. One chance to not hurt ourselves, causing serious injury or death. As farmers/ranchers we work with alot of machinery and tools. Our chance of getting hurt is greatly increase over the average worker. We work long hours, work when exhausted it is so easy to make a mistake. We need to take care of ourselves or we could lose life or limb. It is as simple as that. And we never know how much an injury costs us or our family until it happens.
Sorry for the hijack

Latest posts