HELP...calf won't nurse

Help Support CattleToday:

2mmama

Reaction score
We have a calf that is at least 24 hours old and has still not nursed or taken a bottle. What now? Do we use a drencher and still give it colostrum? PLEASE HELP!

well, I called the vet and he came and got the calf and milked the mom, we will take her later tonight. It just wasnt looking too good and we are still in the learning process of what we should keep on hand.
Thanks

The vet came out to YOU for a baby calf? If you live close to Stephenville, I'd sure like that have that vet's name.

Alice

lol....yeah, I have never heard of Stephenville, so I think you are out of luck. We live in a real small town and they are always very helpful!

Found out the hard way, keep some colostrum on hand. It can be either the powder or frozen form. As for the frozen thaw in warm water,NOT repeat NOT the microwave.
Did you stick your finger in the calfs mouth and see if it had the sucking reflex? Was the moth warm or cold?
Normally if I could get a calf to suck on my finger I could normally get it to suck on the bottle. Had to back a couple into a corner, straddle them, force the nipple into their mouth and massage their throat until they started swallowing.
Let us know how its going.

After 24 hours the calf has lost the ability to asorb the benefits from the colostrum, the loss of absorbtion starts at about three hours and after twenty four it does no good. At least you milked the cow and got some down the calf.
Just curious, is this a bull calf...seems that the bulls are slower to grab the teat.
DMC

Are you sure the calf hasn't nursed? Keeping cow and calf in a smaller area so you can observe them will help if you're not sure.

Will the cow accept the calf?

The Mama cow didnt want a thing to do with the calf....was kicking it off and walking off. This was her first and we have been keeping them in a smaller area now.
It is a female, but the vet said Brahman calves are stubborn in general.
This was definately a learning experience. Its hard bc my husband is the "cow person" and he works from dark ro dark and so I end up doing the "cow stuff"....LOL, I plan on reading the suggested book!! Thanks for all the info!!!!