HELP bottle feeding questions.7week old calfs mom just died

Help Support CattleToday:

dennisb

Reaction score
HELP PLEASE we have an orhpaned Angus we were raising for beef, he's about 125 to 130 lbs.
we've never bottle fed a calf before. and this ones mom just died of bloat after getting into the alfalfa field. We went and bought a bottle and some snowflake milk feed and penned and held the calf till he took it, He finished the whole 2 quarts, not much happy about it , but he did take it. Now that I've got him to take the bottle I see on here where some folks have the calfs on hay and pellet feed at 7 to 8 weeks, Does anyone have a rule or guidline on this?
and how many feedings per day?
any help is appreciated

Little orphaned Angus

We bottle fed a dairy calf one year because our sons wanted to. We fed morning and evening, gradually working him onto baby beef sweet feed. We grew him on out to butchering size on Dairy Texture Sweet 16% from Co-op. Just keep plenty of hay, keep the bottle sanitized. We have a big roasting pan that we boiled the bottle and nipple in water. If you don't it will give him the scours. Be sure not to give it a cold bottle. It should be warm, once again sitting in the water of the big pan as it heats. Good luck.

if the calf looks good and is eating solid feed
grain hay drinks water you might want to try wean it.
we wean our calves at 8 weeks.
our calves are fleckvieh cross holstein

(the dual purpose fleckvieh) they will be milking cows.

im sure if ur calf is good on its feet it should do alrite.
just give em enuf grain since it doesnt get nutrients from milk animore etc.

al

I wean my Holstein bottle calves at 8 weeks...if your calf is looking healthy and you know he's eating hay/grain/grass, I wouldn't even bother trying to bottle feed him. Just keep an eye on him to make sure he's not heading downhill.

Latest posts