HELP Advertising

Help Support CattleToday:

PLR

Reaction score
Ususally everyone on this board avoids my questions like the plague. Not sure why but now I want your help. For those of you that sell Custom Extemt( Beef by the half or whole not USDA inspected) what type of publications do you advertise in? For those of you who buy beef in halves or wholes Where did you look to find it? I am having a hard time finding a place to advertise and am looking for suggestions.

Thanks

Shelby

PLR":392nyft4 said:
Ususally everyone on this board avoids my questions like the plague. Not sure why but now I want your help. For those of you that sell Custom Extemt( Beef by the half or whole not USDA inspected) what type of publications do you advertise in? For those of you who buy beef in halves or wholes Where did you look to find it? I am having a hard time finding a place to advertise and am looking for suggestions.

Thanks

Shelby

As you will probaly be selling to a generally local clientelle, you should consider the local newspapers, and posters in office buildings.

You might want to check with whoever is doing the butchering. We used to buy "no rolls" that he alwasy had on hand from locals that had excess sides to sell.

dun

Word of mouth seems to work best. Pick and choose a few people that seem to be real expressive and have a wide circle of people that they run with, give them a few good steaks off of one of your animals (free meat is always delicious) and they'll take care of the rest for you.

JB

we've sold some to friends and family. word of mouth would work great, similiar to what J Baxter said.

Also, sorry for making you feel that we don't pay attention to your questions... you may just come up with things that actually stump us.

Thanks for the replys even though there were so few. I have been advertising in the local publications with Ok results(got 3 new customers). I talk to my butcher but unfortunately he forgot to take his medication and was totally intelligible. By the time i got to talk to his wife they only seem to have a demand for Grain fed beef, not grass fed. I live in a very small town so the only place I can think of to put up a flier would be the courthouse or the feedstore. Any more suggestions would be helpful. For those of you in Washington, what are some good papers to advertise in?

Thanks, Shelby

Shelby,
The trouble is you are way over there in Okanogan. That is, or at least used to be, cattle country. It is difficult to sell meat in rural farming communities. Meat that is sold as natural, grass fed, no hormones, etc, will sell well in any of the urban areas of the Puget Sound where there are lots potential customers. The problem is very few if any will drive the 4 to 6 hours over to Okanogan to pick up your product. If you are willing to deliver over to this side of the hill any where from Everett to Olympia will work for a market area. Just organize your deliveries to make a number at a time and of course charge enough to make it worth your time. Remeber these people are used to paying $7 or $8 dollars a pound for their steaks and $2 for hamburger at the grocery store.
Dave

Yes, I have concluded that I need to get a market on the "Coast" but I havent found a place to advertise. The papers I have looked at dont do Animal advertising and the butcher shops either raise their own or they dont refer to farms. I am very willing to drive it part or all the way to the coast but am not sure how to spread the word over their.

Thanks,
Shelby

PLR":w28s6y56 said:
Yes, I have concluded that I need to get a market on the "Coast" but I havent found a place to advertise. The papers I have looked at dont do Animal advertising and the butcher shops either raise their own or they dont refer to farms. I am very willing to drive it part or all the way to the coast but am not sure how to spread the word over their.

Thanks,
Shelby

Get a web site. Also the papers will have an area for "foods" or "frash foods" in the classifies. they charge by the column inch. Word you ad to include the advanages of grass fed beef. Good luck. :)

Latest posts