Hello!

Help Support CattleToday:

You need to remember this is the beginners Board and their will be questions asked that may seem silly to experienced ranchers, I am on several ag. related Boards and one of the biggest concerns is the lack of knowledge the average person has of where our food comes from and how few young people are getting into agriculture. We as farmers and ranchers need to support our young people. The young people will become bankers, lawyers,politicians, doctors and other professions, we may need their help at some point and if so we want them to have a positive attitude toward farmers and ranchers.
Moonshine keep reading the forum and asking questions, their are many on here that will help you and answer your question in a civil manner. Welcome to the forum. :cboy:

M-5":1hcpobka said:
Where are you located?? What exactly are you feeding them?? BTW cows are not pets!!

Please explain why cows cannot be pets.

Can horses be pets?

Exactly which animals are allowed to be pets?

What does it mean to be a pet? Does that mean you actually like the animal?

Can an animal be a pet and also be productive? Are you allowed to like your cows? Give them a scratch?

I think I may have been doing things wrong, because I like my cows.

I like mine to and I spend alot of time with them. I think you know what I meant , they can hurt or kill you by just tossing their head wanting a scratch. At the end of the day they are livestock.

M-5":xkqbthju said:
I like mine to and I spend alot of time with them. I think you know what I meant , they can hurt or kill you by just tossing their head wanting a scratch. At the end of the day they are livestock.
I agree with M-5, pet cows could be dangerous if they re spoiled and pampered too much. I got a pet cow here but she knows her place and I treated her as a cow, not a human or dog. Pet horned cattle, 100x times worse than polled cattle and I don't want to be in the pen with few spoiled horned Holstein freemartins without my stick or dogs.

I had the neighbors pet Longhorns, ( six of them) get on my place, I led them back through the fence with cubes, I soon realized I really had to watch the reach of their horns, it was like being in a sword fight.

cowboy43":1onkrt40 said:
I really had to watch the reach of their horns, it was like being in a sword fight.
I don't envy you with these longhorns. These Holstein freemartins were a little intimidating for me since they didn't respect my space when I have to feed them. Told the owners to do dehorning their next batch.

backhoeboogie":3e0g67dk said:
Moonshine":3e0g67dk said:
Now, anybody wanna take a crack at my questions again?

Sure. They need worming. You are describing wormy cows. Perfect nutrition is lost if they cows have worms. Start by worming them and you'll need to do that a couple of times a year.

Great advice that's what I was going to say. Worm them and feed them and admire them from a respectable distance.

wacocowboy":n2p4yefd said:
Great advice that's what I was going to say. Worm them and feed them and admire them from a respectable distance.

What else could I say?

The post just hit me all wrong waco. Cattlemen typically do anything they can to help out. Any advice I offer could contradict the efforts of her "experienced cattleman". Is she trying to entrap someone? What's going on here? Lots of contradiction and attitude. Perhaps she doesn't trust him. Perhaps he needs help. Perhaps he knows more than the rest of us.

I need to see the cows. Heck, they could look fine for the breed they are. Or not. If she writes thirty pages but does not know what she is describing, I'm still lost.

My ex-wife would come home with a piece of trash water faucet and tell me, "the salesman said it was a good one." I don't want to be that type of salesman, for anyone.

backhoeboogie":2j6r8737 said:
wacocowboy":2j6r8737 said:

What else could I say?

The post just hit me all wrong waco. Cattlemen typically do anything they can to help out. Any advice I offer could contradict the efforts of her "experienced cattleman". Is she trying to entrap someone? What's going on here? Lots of contradiction and attitude. Perhaps she doesn't trust him. Perhaps he needs help. Perhaps he knows more than the rest of us.

I need to see the cows. Heck, they could look fine for the breed they are. Or not. If she writes thirty pages but does not know what she is describing, I'm still lost.

My ex-wife would come home with a piece of trash water faucet and tell me, "the salesman said it was a good one." I don't want to be that type of salesman, for anyone.

With the info given I think you gave sound advice same advice I would give. Yep most cowpokes I know will bend over backwards to help someone.

Moonshine,

First of all, welcome to the forum. Second, I'll try to address a few things here.

1. In your first sentence you described yourself as an "animal advocate". That can mean different things to different people. To some of us in the food animal industry it immediately conjures images of animal rights extremists, who think animals should have all the rights that people do, in fact see no difference between animals and people, and are working diligently to end our way of life. Another category is well-intentioned people that are personally unfamiliar with livestock, have never been on a working farm or ranch, but still have firm opinions about how those of us who have been in the livestock industry for decades, or even multiple generations, should be caring for our animals. I think you can understand how that can cause us some frustration. While I didn't get the impression that you fit into either of those categories, the term can unfortunately cause a knee-jerk reaction that isn't always justified.

2. As others have said, the cows may need to be treated for parasites, although since you said there are a couple of vets involved I'd think at least one of them would have addressed that already. I'm also puzzled as to why you're asking questions here when you said there are multiple vets and knowledgeable cattle folks involved, but I don't mind.

3. For the "pet cow" issue, as far as I'm concerned you have the right to have a cow that you consider a pet if you want, but it's not like getting a 6-week old kitten. A mature cow can kill you, either intentionally or not. Its similar to someone that's never been around dogs and knows next to nothing about them all of a sudden getting a mature Doberman or pit bull, that may or may not be vicious. Or you mentioned snakes. If I got on a snake forum (I assume there is such a thing) and said I'd always wanted a dangerous snake, and had recently gotten one, but didn't know anything about them, I suspect it would get some reactions similar to some of the ones you got here.

Again, welcome to the forum, and I hope you'll stick around.

Good job rafter. If she seriously needed help, she'd still be looking. I am hoping it is all taken care of.

id bet money they werent emaciated shes just a typical animal "rescuer" that bought some longhorns and thought they were starving cause she saw a rib

VirginiaCattle":ngx5yqc7 said:
I never assumed Moonshine was a female.
It all seemed like trolling though.

P.S. This forum is where English went to die.

I had assumed female because of the references to the boyfriend, but since you mentioned it maybe I was wrong.

Latest posts