hello from West Central Illinois

Help Support CattleToday:

brenlee

Reaction score
Thanks for being here! I help out with a very small herd, 25-30 black Angus cross. I'm not the owner, but my input is valued, mostly because I found you folks a few years ago. They never used to bother with weak or struggling calves - survival of the fittest, and no one had time to bottle feed - until I entered the picture in 2012. I came across their first set of twins moments after they were born, and fell in love/was mesmerized watching. One baby was rejected after 3 days, I got the opportunity to give it a try - the 2nd baby was then rejected 2 days after that. Little heifers that I did a pretty good job with, so they kept them as herd stock. Mocha has produced 2 bulls calves, then took a year off and then has given us 2 heifers, while her sister Cocoa has given us 5 incredible bull calves. Thanks to all of you, I have helped saved multiple calves, some I brought home and bottle fed (in the pen with my 5 silly pygmy and fainter goats) and some have we have successfully penned with momma cow and given a much needed helping hand on nursing. I have finally gotten them to understand the critical need for early intervention with colostrum, rather than "wait and see". I'm grateful to have found a place where so much knowledge is freely shared. Sorry for the long intro, but thanks again. Glad to be part of now, instead of just lurking :)

Welcome
Sounds like you have a lot of patients and enjoy what you do. That is needed often in the cattle business as these small calves are very delicate and time is of the essences.

Last edited:
Welcome
Sounds like you have a lot of patients and enjoy what you do. That is needed often in the cattle business as these small calves are very delicate and time is of the essences.
Thank you...I have incredible patience with most animals....humans, not so much, lol! I truly have found my passion keeping an eye on these babies their first weeks. What a crazy mix of delicate and toughness these little ones have. The guys were prone to just wait and see, and I am more inclined to jump in to assist. I know it is part of it, but breaks my heart every time we lose one. So I jump back on here to research and continue to learn, hoping to reduce our losses for the next season.

welcome to the CT forum and hope you enjoy your time here. Just reading your post sends a message that you really enjoy what you are doing. Glad you are passing on your passion for helping the newborns survive and thrive in an operation that did not put a lot of emphasis on it before. I also have a herd of 25-30 mostly angus cows and have received some very useful information from replies to my post. Seems like members here enjoy sharing their knowledge to help others. looking forward to hearing more about your operation.

Y
Thanks for being here! I help out with a very small herd, 25-30 black Angus cross. I'm not the owner, but my input is valued, mostly because I found you folks a few years ago. They never used to bother with weak or struggling calves - survival of the fittest, and no one had time to bottle feed - until I entered the picture in 2012. I came across their first set of twins moments after they were born, and fell in love/was mesmerized watching. One baby was rejected after 3 days, I got the opportunity to give it a try - the 2nd baby was then rejected 2 days after that. Little heifers that I did a pretty good job with, so they kept them as herd stock. Mocha has produced 2 bulls calves, then took a year off and then has given us 2 heifers, while her sister Cocoa has given us 5 incredible bull calves. Thanks to all of you, I have helped saved multiple calves, some I brought home and bottle fed (in the pen with my 5 silly pygmy and fainter goats) and some have we have successfully penned with momma cow and given a much needed helping hand on nursing. I have finally gotten them to understand the critical need for early intervention with colostrum, rather than "wait and see". I'm grateful to have found a place where so much knowledge is freely shared. Sorry for the long intro, but thanks again. Glad to be part of now, instead of just lurking :),
Welcome to CT!

Had. contact with some good people (mishpahkah) down at Mt. Pulaski. Good land in that area.
Land of Lincoln, Your'e Blessed!