Hello from West Central Arkansas

Help Support CattleToday:

pfaubush

Reaction score
Hello. I've been lurking for a while, but finally decided to jump in. I took over the management of a 320 acre ranch, in September, that was left in absolute shambles. The last manager left without telling anyone. He left 92 cows with one round bale in the barn. The bale was trashed with the excrement of 40 goats and 4 abandoned dogs. Most of the equipment was stolen, and what was left is broken. I've had to replace everything from fence pounders to a quad.

My family has been homesteading on a much smaller scale for years. Many have scoffed, thinking we couldn't do it. Turns out, we've been able to do a lot with very little. I've met neighbors, knocking on doors, in desperation for hay. I've forged friendships with folks that have taken time to stop by and offer a hand or just friendly advice. It started out awful, but became a blessing to see the animals turn around, and the place come back to life.

This ranch has a long way to go, but we're headed in the right direction. I may ask what many consider stupid questions, but it's all for the benefit of the animals. Most folks have been awesome around here, but some like to treat me as if I'm out of my league. It's OK. I'm not doing this to have my ego stroked. I'm too old and too busy to care. 😂

Attachments

• 20220921_150524.jpg
    20220921_150524.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 33
Welcome! It sounds like a large undertaking, and you've had your work cut out for you, but are making good progress! Hang in there and keep on keeping on.

Looks like a nice place from the pic. Sounds like you are on the right track so far. Absentee owners? Are you living on the ranch?

Looks like a nice place from the pic. Sounds like you are on the right track so far. Absentee owners? Are you living on the ranch?
Congratulations to you for your great attitude! My wife and I felt the same way when we built our ranch 22 years ago and still do today. The chief disadvantage of ranching is that ranching is restrictive....a rancher can't just load the truck and be gone for days at a time. And, as you well know, ranch hands are nearlybout impossible to find and KEEP! It is still a wonderful way to make a living, or something close to it.

The owners live in Texas, and only come up for vacation once a year or so. We live about three miles away, and have my daughter staying in one of the places on the ranch.

The place is beautiful. The Fouche River runs through the middle of it, and there's plenty of places to hunt and take the kids camping. We have our own personal playground at the end of every day. We're hoping those days might start ending before dark! Lol

Hello. I've been lurking for a while, but finally decided to jump in. I took over the management of a 320 acre ranch, in September, that was left in absolute shambles. The last manager left without telling anyone. He left 92 cows with one round bale in the barn. The bale was trashed with the excrement of 40 goats and 4 abandoned dogs. Most of the equipment was stolen, and what was left is broken. I've had to replace everything from fence pounders to a quad.

My family has been homesteading on a much smaller scale for years. Many have scoffed, thinking we couldn't do it. Turns out, we've been able to do a lot with very little. I've met neighbors, knocking on doors, in desperation for hay. I've forged friendships with folks that have taken time to stop by and offer a hand or just friendly advice. It started out awful, but became a blessing to see the animals turn around, and the place come back to life.

This ranch has a long way to go, but we're headed in the right direction. I may ask what many consider stupid questions, but it's all for the benefit of the animals. Most folks have been awesome around here, but some like to treat me as if I'm out of my league. It's OK. I'm not doing this to have my ego stroked. I'm too old and too busy to care. 😂
Good looking entrance and fences

😂
That paragraph says a lot. Doing a lot with little is the way it's done.

Welcome to the forum ! Sounds like you've righted the ship and have it going in the right direction . Good luck and hang in there !

Stay after it if that's what you love to do. And you can do quite a bit with very little. Never ceases to amaze me what one determined person with limited resources can do. Keep it up and keep us informed of your progress. I'm in a similar situation except not as big (110 acres) and not in as bad a condition - it's rough but not as bad as what you've described. Let me know if I can answer any questions - can't make any promises but I'll try.

Latest posts