Hello from North Alabama

Help Support CattleToday:

Ralliart

Reaction score
Good morning all! My wife and I purchased our home and 20 acres about 2 years ago. We've been working on the house, and I'm looking to start cattle fencing in February. The land was an overgrown mess... but some constant bush hogging has it to where about half is pasture and half is wooded. Only infrastructure is two old pole barns. I'm here cause nobody in my family raises cattle, and I'm starting from scratch! I'm a police Officer and my wife is a piano teacher, so it'll be cheap and humble beginnings. I look forward to hearing from everyone. If you ever feel inspired to drop some random wisdom off on me, please do!

Get a Martin! At least a D-16 Just a natural part of cowboy'n................
Besides Hank was from Alabama

Welcome from Upstate NY. THANK YOU for your job. We have a great group of people on here. No question is dumb. We all had to start somewhere. I was born & raised in Rhode Island, left when I was 19, moved to Kansas. Late hubby & I moved out here in 1978.
About as city raised childhood as you can get. I think those of us that weren't born "country" can really, really appreciate the difference! One of my nephews from R.I. moved in with me & is living his dream.
After you get fencing - get facilities to handle your cattle - before you get cattle. Cattle are like kids - you have to be prepared for them getting sick or injured.

Welcome from North Alabama, too.

Welcome to the CT forum and thank you for the job you do. I will buy you and your wife lunch as a thank you if you ever get up to eastern Iowa. Hope you ask a lot of questions when you get ready to purchase your first livestock. As you can see from replies to your post already, people here are always ready to help and guide you if you ask. Good luck

Jeanne was sure right about cattle getting sick or injured. Cattle can also be unruly at times. They seem to cause the most problems at night when it is cold and raining.

Some of the best advice I ever heard was "If you want to get somewhere fast, you must learn to go slow."
Best of all to you. Enjoy your new venture.

Latest posts