Hello from Deep East Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

You are braver than i am and i only live 2 hours from there. It will sure be crowded.
Cabin about 10 miles east of Pigeon Forge I believe...hopefully somewhat isolated...near Laurel, Webb Mountain, and Richardson Cove, I believe. Can you suggest a restaurant that shouldn't be missed?

Cabin about 10 miles east of Pigeon Forge I believe...hopefully somewhat isolated...near Laurel, Webb Mountain, and Richardson Cove, I believe. Can you suggest a restaurant that shouldn't be missed?
Its terrible to say but i cant tell you much at all about the area. I drive through on I-40 and thats about it. But it is a beautiful place once you get out of town.
@ssttercan tell you lots more. He is an hour closer than i am.
Lots of cattle sales nearby if you want to sneak away.
If you want a nice drive get on I-40 and its an hour to Ashville NC through the gorge. Most of the west was settled before anyone stayed in the gorge. White water rafting should start this weekend

Just found this forum the other day. Looked interesting. My father died last May and now I am looking after Mom & the "family farm" in Nacogdoches, Texas - grew up there. A total of 110 acres - about 60 or so in hay pasture - most of the rest is grazing pastures with some being woods and a couple of small ponds. Trying to play catch up with everything as I've lived too far away to get over here regularly for the past 20 years or so and Dad had gotten too old to do some of what he used to do. Have spent the last couple of years on my days off restretching/repairing/rebuilding barbed wire fences, cutting brush, spraying for weeds, bush hogging a couple of patches that had gotten out of hand, and tending to about 30 cows (1 bull, 20 cows, and 10 babies at the moment). Managed to get a good kill on weeds and johnson grass last year and had one very good hay cutting around Sept-Oct. If it weren't for the dry times in July & August, probably would have gotten two. Managed to keep the cows fat and happy through the winter and have them on a regular worming program (pour-on in spring, injection in fall, and periodically putting deworming blocks out). Still have a ways to go but have made excellent progress - still got a lot to do - especially brush on fence lines. Easier to keep up than catch up - still playing catch up. Chomping at the bit for spring to come on so I can see what I'll be dealing with in terms of spraying herbicide (using Grazon P+D & MSMA 6+). In the meantime, it's all about working the calves and clearing/repairing the fence lines. Place is looking so much better than a couple of years ago. The missus may think I've lost my mind but there is a method to the madness.
Sorry to hear about your father.

Its terrible to say but i cant tell you much at all about the area. I drive through on I-40 and thats about it. But it is a beautiful place once you get out of town.
@ssttercan tell you lots more. He is an hour closer than i am.
Lots of cattle sales nearby if you want to sneak away.
If you want a nice drive get on I-40 and its an hour to Ashville NC through the gorge. Most of the west was settled before anyone stayed in the gorge. White water rafting should start this weekend
Yup…been to Asheville years ago…beautiful country up there. Going to try not to think about cows, fences, pastures, and work…it will all still be here when we get back…lol

Yup…been to Asheville years ago…beautiful country up there. Going to try not to think about cows, fences, pastures, and work…it will all still be here when we get back…lol
Yes it will. Should see some bear and there are several Elk in that area. Plus good native trout fishing.
Be sure and stop at Buc-ees in Crossville TN.

Just a possibility - may be able to retire soon...finally found a line on a job closer to home...can't afford to retire and not work but this position coupled with my pension just might work...keeping fingers crossed...

Congrats on the anniversary....
Did you have a good trip to the Smokies???

Did the new job possibility come through?
Loved the Smokies (always have)…haven't heard anything on the job…they've been busy…last I heard they haven't really gone through the applications…and thanks

Just had an old tinhorn culvert that was rusting out replaced…a crew will be finishing out the cattle working pen in steel (we always just called in "the lot") next week…if bush hog repair will hurry up and get done, I can continue rehab on the back pasture…hoping to get it all mowed this winter…then chicken litter (about) March & spray for weeds around May…might be able to bale it in 2024…that would be another 25 - 30 acres…here's hoping

Just had an old tinhorn culvert that was rusting out replaced…a crew will be finishing out the cattle working pen in steel (we always just called in "the lot") next week…if bush hog repair will hurry up and get done, I can continue rehab on the back pasture…hoping to get it all mowed this winter…then chicken litter (about) March & spray for weeds around May…might be able to bale it in 2024…that would be another 25 - 30 acres…here's hoping
We might try to turn another 100 acres into hay meadow, we have to hog fence it, plow and drag it, put out chicken litter and weed killer, lots of work, it wouldn't be bad if it weren't for the hogs.

While clearing brush around the pen, I noticed some tree limbs on a nearby fence. Went to cut them up yesterday...turns out it was more than just limbs. Two big trees growing out of the same stump had uprooted and fallen over. It was a little dicey cutting them up as a good bit of it was hung up in another tree - hard to know which way it might roll or pinch. (NOTE: On jobs like this, always take the time to clear yourself an escape route in case the tree does something unexpected when it is cut - big old trees shifting around can be dangerous.) However, managed to get all of the limbs down and moved. The two trunks had split up from each other when it fell...diameter of each was 36+ inches. Still managed to get them cut up enough to grab them with grapple and haul to the ditch. The roots that were still holding were exposed so I cut them off and even managed to haul out the stump - that's a big victory. Fence is fixed and I am back to waiting for the guy to finish repairing the bush hog. That's what holidays are like around here...lol. Y'all be careful out there.

While clearing brush around the pen, I noticed some tree limbs on a nearby fence. Went to cut them up yesterday...turns out it was more than just limbs. Two big trees growing out of the same stump had uprooted and fallen over. It was a little dicey cutting them up as a good bit of it was hung up in another tree - hard to know which way it might roll or pinch. (NOTE: On jobs like this, always take the time to clear yourself an escape route in case the tree does something unexpected when it is cut - big old trees shifting around can be dangerous.) However, managed to get all of the limbs down and moved. The two trunks had split up from each other when it fell...diameter of each was 36+ inches. Still managed to get them cut up enough to grab them with grapple and haul to the ditch. The roots that were still holding were exposed so I cut them off and even managed to haul out the stump - that's a big victory. Fence is fixed and I am back to waiting for the guy to finish repairing the bush hog. That's what holidays are like around here...lol. Y'all be careful out there.
That's nothing to play with, I use a tractor with a front end loader, to help hold it while I'm cutting, me n a friend were cutting cord wood a few years back, he cut a limb that hit me square in the back, it wasn't that big of a limb but it knocked me flat, I thought my back was broke, but luckily it wasn't.