Hello from Deep East Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

Dad was a good, decent, honest, hard-working, God-fearing man and led a full life. Mom & I are doing well - we are nothing if not brutally pragmatic - ha! I've been working for Texas State Parks for around 18-19 years - most as a state park superintendent. The missus is a country girl just not a "used to being around cattle" kind of girl. Whereas, I grew up around cows. My grandfather bought the place in 1958 and it has been in the family ever since. Maybe some pics whenever I figure out the whole "i-phone" thing. Tech just ain't my thing. Give me a tractor, a chainsaw, and some fencing tools/supplies any day and I'll be just as happy as a dead pig in the sunshine. Here is an aerial shot - our place is the big #1 in the middle of the image.
D5AAD264-C770-4851-88C9-CC4C3323DFF9.jpeg6DF2A318-FB58-4197-9205-466BA4471BD5.jpeg

You definitely have grass.
Yes. sir...lots of rye grass. I never bail it because it takes so long to dry and at this time of year here, you never know when it might rain. Just as sure as I cut it, it will rain before it has dried out enough to bail. Letting them eat it down some now to make room for the bermuda grass later this spring. The bermuda usually starts doing its thing when the night time lows are 60+...we're not quite there yet. However, the pecan trees are leafing out and they are usually the last to do so. The rye is going to seed...I'll probably close them off from this patch within the week.

I dunno about eating it, but I breathed in lots of that red dirt dust up north of Lufkin one year. The old drive-in movie was named Redlands.. I thought it's fallen down by now but heard last year someone had opened it back up?.

I dunno about eating it, but I breathed in lots of that red dirt dust up north of Lufkin one year. The old drive-in movie was named Redlands.. I thought it's fallen down by now but heard last year someone had opened it back up?.
They were going to open it back up Memorial Day 2021...their facebook page hasn't shown anything more recent than then. I hardly get out that way so I don't know if the re-opening lasted or not.

Looking out this morning before leaving for work, I could swear I saw calf #12 running around out there...couldn't be more than 2 days old. One more cow looks like she may be a possibility for dropping a calf...or she might just be fat...most of them are. As it is right now, the dirty dozen is what we have to work with this year...10 females, 1 male, and whatever this latest arrival is...haven't gotten a close enough look at this point.

Looking out this morning before leaving for work, I could swear I saw calf #12 running around out there...couldn't be more than 2 days old. One more cow looks like she may be a possibility for dropping a calf...or she might just be fat...most of them are. As it is right now, the dirty dozen is what we have to work with this year...10 females, 1 male, and whatever this latest arrival is...haven't gotten a close enough look at this point.
yup...#12 has made an entrance

Woah, 103 is impressive and definitely a life well lived.
Probably had more knowledge than any 10 of us put together...and never learned to read. Funny story: He came to my father's graveside service on his 4-wheeler with a big of feed strapped across it with a bungee cord...Dad would have been pleased.

About to disappear for a couple of weeks...heading out for vacation next week and spending the week after clearing downed trees and spraying for weeds. Chicken litter application should happen sometime next week...while I'm gone, of course. Then after the spray has a chance to do its thing, will be hoping and praying for rain.

Latest posts