Hello from Deep East Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

gman4691

Reaction score
Just found this forum the other day. Looked interesting. My father died last May and now I am looking after Mom & the "family farm" in Nacogdoches, Texas - grew up there. A total of 110 acres - about 60 or so in hay pasture - most of the rest is grazing pastures with some being woods and a couple of small ponds. Trying to play catch up with everything as I've lived too far away to get over here regularly for the past 20 years or so and Dad had gotten too old to do some of what he used to do. Have spent the last couple of years on my days off restretching/repairing/rebuilding barbed wire fences, cutting brush, spraying for weeds, bush hogging a couple of patches that had gotten out of hand, and tending to about 30 cows (1 bull, 20 cows, and 10 babies at the moment). Managed to get a good kill on weeds and johnson grass last year and had one very good hay cutting around Sept-Oct. If it weren't for the dry times in July & August, probably would have gotten two. Managed to keep the cows fat and happy through the winter and have them on a regular worming program (pour-on in spring, injection in fall, and periodically putting deworming blocks out). Still have a ways to go but have made excellent progress - still got a lot to do - especially brush on fence lines. Easier to keep up than catch up - still playing catch up. Chomping at the bit for spring to come on so I can see what I'll be dealing with in terms of spraying herbicide (using Grazon P+D & MSMA 6+). In the meantime, it's all about working the calves and clearing/repairing the fence lines. Place is looking so much better than a couple of years ago. The missus may think I've lost my mind but there is a method to the madness.

Nice first post... Sorry about Dad, hope Mom is doing well. Bonus points for pictures of land and cattle. What have you been doing to make a living? Wife not a country girl?
Dad was a good, decent, honest, hard-working, God-fearing man and led a full life. Mom & I are doing well - we are nothing if not brutally pragmatic - ha! I've been working for Texas State Parks for around 18-19 years - most as a state park superintendent. The missus is a country girl just not a "used to being around cattle" kind of girl. Whereas, I grew up around cows. My grandfather bought the place in 1958 and it has been in the family ever since. Maybe some pics whenever I figure out the whole "i-phone" thing. Tech just ain't my thing. Give me a tractor, a chainsaw, and some fencing tools/supplies any day and I'll be just as happy as a dead pig in the sunshine. Here is an aerial shot - our place is the big #1 in the middle of the image.

Attachments

• Home.jpg
    Home.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 55
Dad was a good, decent, honest, hard-working, God-fearing man and led a full life. Mom & I are doing well - we are nothing if not brutally pragmatic - ha! I've been working for Texas State Parks for around 18-19 years - most as a state park superintendent. The missus is a country girl just not a "used to being around cattle" kind of girl. Whereas, I grew up around cows. My grandfather bought the place in 1958 and it has been in the family ever since. Maybe some pics whenever I figure out the whole "i-phone" thing. Tech just ain't my thing. Give me a tractor, a chainsaw, and some fencing tools/supplies any day and I'll be just as happy as a dead pig in the sunshine. Here is an aerial shot - our place is the big #1 in the middle of the image.
A pretty odd shaped piece of land. Family taking chunks out over time to build homes? I'm not tech savvy either. I finally figured out how to download a pic into the computer and then post from there. Of course now all the pics are in my computer and it crashed so using the wife's. LOL.

You sound like you'll be giving advice more than needing it. Being a State Park guy you might have some perspective on regenerative methods? We're all here to learn.

There were some old homesteads there once upon a time as evidenced by some hand-dug wells (that have long since been filled in) and narcissus & jonquils planted here and there. But when my grandfather bought it, he bought it all in one piece and it has been like that ever since.

As for advice, I was always just a labor hand - Dad did all of the planning and such - I just did what he told me to do - at least where the cows are concerned. At the same time, I'm no babe in the woods and I have a neighbor who is a pretty bonafide cattleman I can go to for consultation on the cows & now there's this forum. But we've never done any of the AI or pure-breed stuff. Still like to read about it in here though - interesting stuff.

As for the hay pastures, I nailed that down pretty good last year - do know a little bit about soil nutrients - at least in this area. I also know a bit about chainsaw work either for taking out a tree or cutting one off of a fence (that can get dicey at times). And I have more experience than I like to think about cutting brush and stretching barbed wire - ha!

I would dearly love to be able to retire and just work out there on the place all the time. Not able to do that yet but that day is coming.
I would love to do the same, but im going to keep working for a few more years.
I have 3 ranches built with a lot of sweat and back pain, but I enjoyed every minute of it.
I have 3 sons and im in business with one of them, he works full time too, we make it work.

As for advice, I was always just a labor hand - Dad did all of the planning and such - I just did what he told me to do - at least where the cows are concerned. At the same time, I'm no babe in the woods and I have a neighbor who is a pretty bonafide cattleman I can go to for consultation on the cows & now there's this forum. But we've never done any of the AI or pure-breed stuff. Still like to read about it in here though - interesting stuff.
Welcome to CT! It's great that you have a neighbor as a mentor!! I would also suggest establishing a relationship with the closest large animal vet - you're gonna need one for RX meds and the inevitable emergency. Do you have handling facilities?

Welcome to CT! It's great that you have a neighbor as a mentor!! I would also suggest establishing a relationship with the closest large animal vet - you're gonna need one for RX meds and the inevitable emergency. Do you have handling facilities?
And do have access to a couple of good large animal vets

Welcome to CT. I loved the Nacogdoches area when I went to SFA. If bermuda is you grass for hay, just remember to put out as much potassium as you do nitrogen and you will be ok. Check the label on the MSMA (I believe it is not cleared for pastures or hay fields) as it is used in ornamental and turf areas.

MSMA 6+ is commonly used on hay fields that are not being used for grazing. It is used to control Johnson grass by just about everyone I know. I don't know of anyone who uses it on grazing pastures as grazing is a very effective way to control Johnson grass. It is just used on hay pastures where no grazing is taking place. The hay should not be cut until at least 5 weeks after application. There are some formulations of MSMA that are for use around golf courses and ornamentals…I'm not familiar with those and have never bought or used any of them.

Spreading chicken litter this week or next for the nutrients. Then praying for rain.

MSMA 6+ is commonly used on hay fields that are not being used for grazing. It is used to control Johnson grass by just about everyone I know. I don't know of anyone who uses it on grazing pastures as grazing is a very effective way to control Johnson grass. It is just used on hay pastures where no grazing is taking place. The hay should not be cut until at least 5 weeks after application. There are some formulations of MSMA that are for use around golf courses and ornamentals…I'm not familiar with those and have never bought or used any of them.

Spreading chicken litter this week or next for the nutrients. Then praying for rain.
It may commonly be misused in hayfields. The label says do not feed treated foliage. I called the manufacturer because a friend asked how long to wait and I could not find any information on the label. Was told one full grazing season before he could use the forage. Consider Outrider for Johnsongrass control. It is labeled for use.

Welcome to CT. I loved the Nacogdoches area when I went to SFA. If bermuda is you grass for hay, just remember to put out as much potassium as you do nitrogen and you will be ok. Check the label on the MSMA (I believe it is not cleared for pastures or hay fields) as it is used in ornamental and turf areas.
Good call on the MSMA...appreciate that. I read the label but it's been quite some time. Either didn't catch it or it just didn't stick in the memory portion of my little peanut brain - ha! Read up on Outrider this AM...will be exchanging the MSMA for Outrider this afternoon. Haven't applied anything yet - still too early...just getting stocked up for later this spring. I do find it odd that so many are using MSMA given the label directions. I think I might remember speaking to one person who mentioned Outrider but the most, by far, say they use MSMA to kill johnson grass in hay meadows. I very much appreciate your bringing this up. I'll try the Outrider this year and if it gives good results I'll let some of the folks around here know...using the MSMA could result in someone getting dinged if their pesticide applicator's license gets audited.

Here's a nice little nerdy geology factoid: The soils in this area (east Texas red dirt) have total arsenic concentrations that can appear alarming at first glance. The soils are derived from the Eocene Weches Formation. The unweathered portion is grayish-green but weathers to a kind of rust red color due to the iron content. The total arsenic levels increase the closer you get to the unweathered portion (used to work as a hydrogeologist in environmental consulting - we sampled tons of this stuff from the surface down to about 20-30 feet). However, the arsenic occurs as trace amounts of arsenopyrite (like iron pyrite - fool's gold - but with arsenic instead of iron). When tested for leaching potential, it is virtually absent owing to the fact that it is very insoluble - much to the relief of our clients. You could eat your body weight in the red dirt and the arsenic wouldn't have any effect - it would just pass right through. The biggest problem you would have would be that you ate your body weight in dirt...and eating one's body weight in dirt or anything else is not recommended...ha!