Hello from Deep East Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

You know, I've been stung by pretty much everything in east Texas over the years. Not really a problem for me as I am not allergic. This afternoon, mowing a widows lady's yard near the church, got stung again…by a red wasp…on the eyelid of all places. Should look really nice when I walk into Nacogdoches ISD's Human Resources office tomorrow…sigh…looks similar to an eye with a sty on it. Getting stung on an eyelid is a new kind of pain.

Put up 75 round bales (5'x6') yesterday… mostly coastal Bermuda…maybe 20% rye…the smaller pasture (5-6 acres) made 23…baling last November after the drought got 23 out of both pastures (about 20 acres total)…that's how bad last summer's drought was here.

Finally got fingerprints taken for background check…for local school district job…PSA: If you ever have to have your fingerprints taken, don't use Identogo to do it if you can avoid it…that company is a cluster -if you know what I mean - looked them up on the Better Business Bureau website…Grade: F… took 5 different appointments at three locations…5-1/2 hours worth of driving…finally got it done this afternoon in Carthage, Texas…about an hour and a half drive…smh

Put up 75 round bales (5'x6') yesterday… mostly coastal Bermuda…maybe 20% rye…the smaller pasture (5-6 acres) made 23…baling last November after the drought got 23 out of both pastures (about 20 acres total)…that's how bad last summer's drought was here.

Finally got fingerprints taken for background check…for local school district job…PSA: If you ever have to have your fingerprints taken, don't use Identogo to do it if you can avoid it…that company is a cluster -if you know what I mean - looked them up on the Better Business Bureau website…Grade: F… took 5 different appointments at three locations…5-1/2 hours worth of driving…finally got it done this afternoon in Carthage, Texas…about an hour and a half drive…smh
Here, you go to the sherriff's office to get fingerprints.

I had to get them 2 times in the last 2 years. 1st one was for Hazmat enforcement and it was done at a DMV but 40 miles away.
2nd one was for a part time job pushing snow. Got it at a Radio Shack . Odd place gor fingerprinting i thought.
Y'all still have Radio Shacks?!!! God, I miss those. Obama recession closed them all here about 2009-2010.

Here, you go to the sherriff's office to get fingerprints.
The school district here uses a private third party company. They used to have an office here in town but it's permanently closed…they are always in a rented space in some other business' building - sometimes in a Staples or a YMCA building, etc. The one I went to was in a building owned by a fire & safety company. A number of the Identogo offices have been closed. I think the only way they can stay in business is by having contracts with government agencies (school districts, TSA, etc). If they had to depend on individual customers, they would probably go out of business altogether…not a well organized bunch at all…I've seen really bad businesses run better than this. They have offices in a number of different states (maybe every state) and reviews are bad across the board. When the BBB gives you a grade of "F", you know it's bad…the BBB seems to be a bit lenient in my experience.

Y'all still have Radio Shacks?!!! God, I miss those. Obama recession closed them all here about 2009-2010.
Radio shack closed because they forgot that they were selling to people with changing needs. The same way Kmart and Sears is going out of business... and soon JC Penney. I just heard Walgreens is closing a couple of thousand locations out of over 8K. Bad management and competition they can't adapt to. Usually upper management listening to beancounters that tell them to cut services and quality as a cost cutting measure... and people don't get what they are used to getting so they start looking elsewhere. Beancounter syndrome has killed more successful businesses than overspending.

I hear you. We used to have two and they were always handy for oddball electronic items that couldn't be found anywhere else. There is one listed for Nacogdoches but the address is at a Verizon store...sharing space maybe(?)

Last edited:
Farmers Almanac is showing this forecast for this year. A little above average precipitation this summer - hope it's right. Temps above average for July - I could do without that. The forecast is for the area in white on the index map. I am about 145 miles north and little east of Houston.

Attachments

• 2024 FA Forecast.jpg
    2024 FA Forecast.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Farmers Almanac is showing this forecast for this year. A little above average precipitation this summer - hope it's right. Temps above average for July - I could do without that. The forecast is for the area in white on the index map. I am about 145 miles north and little east of Houston.
Lol...for us, just about ANY precipitation will make it above average.

Mowed the yard today, got water sprinklers going right now. Got an inch and 4/10ths 8 days ago and the yard is already showing stress. Pastures look good, but the yard not so much. Trees are sucking it dry.

Lol...for us, just about ANY precipitation will make it above average.

Mowed the yard today, got water sprinklers going right now. Got an inch and 4/10ths 8 days ago and the yard is already showing stress. Pastures look good, but the yard not so much. Trees are sucking it dry.
Trees are not your friend...

Getting dry here too. But, it's Texas, it's almost July, it's SUPPOSED to be hot and dry. Helps to keep the yankee riff raff out.

Mowed yards last weekend and it has hardly come back at all. Pastures look OK but we sure could use some rain. Not long ago, we were ready to build an ark now we can't buy a drop of rain. Sigh. East Texas = drown or drought, freeze or fry. There is a tropical depression heading for the gulf…maybe it will bring some rain. Here's hoping.

Heading to Arkansas for nephew's wedding later this week.

Recorded the debate on 2 different channels. Joe looks like he should go home and spend whatever good days he has left with family. I've seen a number of people go through that kind of cognitive decline. Regardless of one's politics, it is a hard thing to watch. In my opinion, the people in his inner circle must be some of the most reprehensible people imaginable. They will get everything they can out of him and then toss him away like a used kleenex. Someone should go to jail over the way they've used him. I didn't vote for him and wouldn't vote for him if he ran again. But I recognize elder abuse when I see it. The CNN panel after the debate were saying he needs to step down and I think they've felt that way for quite some time. Everything they said sounded very rehearsed…like they knew what they were going to say before the debate even started. A sad and discouraging thing to see. Geez, politics these days.

The eye where the wasp got me is back to normal. And the beat goes on.

Last edited:

Latest posts