Hello from Deep East Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

And just like that, it disappeared from the radar...hmmmmm
This morning was some spectacular winds.
Blew the windows out of my deer stand. I haven't figured that one out yet.
No telling how much rain , gauge doesn't measure sideways.
I was going to take a bull calf to Livingston this morning.
That plan was delayed till tomorrow as I needed practice fixing fence again.

And the rains are back. Raining hard and the wind is getting up. Wind not as bad as before but still a little worrisome in terms of potential for more falling trees. Sigh…here we go again.
We had a heck of a storm, I think we must both be in the same storm path this year. Massive straight line winds came up from nothing to almost tornado strength about 630 or so, the rent house carport roof took flight and is now in the hay field, wife's chicken house was spared but a big oak tree fell and landed about 3 feet away from it and smashed part of her chicken run. No power since the storm hit, really glad we installed a generator last year. Lots of trees down and down at the church a tree on the parsonage and a big limb on the church itself. My boy went and checked out all of the neighborhood and church old folks to make sure they had power and were ok. Some had power restored quickly, some had relatives in town pick them up and a couple spent the night here last night. The princess fixed a big breakfast. So much for our predicted 10% chance of rain

Sun shining bright today but lots of folks are out of power. Crews of linemen all over the area…hats off to them. We've been on generator power here since last night. That little Cummins natural gas generator has been worth its weight in gold…hasn't missed a beat. Probably too wet to do much in the pastures so I'll change the flush valve in one of mom's commodes - it has been making a good bit of noise. Parts, a pair of channel locks, and a screwdriver ought to do the trick…memories of working with plumbers while in college…good times.

Commode fixed…now going stir crazy…a bit wet to jump on fencing and downed trees…why does it always happen in places that are hard to reach when wet? Grass in the yard looks fine so no mowing…maybe I'll go mow the widow lady's yard this afternoon…or tomorrow…the stir craziness has a way of turning into the "don't want to's" if it goes too long…can't have that.

An orphan showed up yesterday - half-starved. Gave a flea bath yesterday. It's very young - about the size of my hand. Bought some milk replacer today. Maybe we can keep it alive until it can go to the animal shelter. Then again, we might wind up with cat #3…the missus is a cat person…sigh

Attachments

• IMG_1373.jpeg
    IMG_1373.jpeg
    257.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
An orphan showed up yesterday - half-starved. Gave a flea bath yesterday. It's very young - about the size of my hand. Bought some milk replacer today. Maybe we can keep it alive until it can go to the animal shelter. Then again, we might wind up with cat #3…the missus is a cat person…sigh
Noisy little beast

Last edited:
Well, he didn't make it. He was pretty weak when we found him and very young...too young to not have a mother around. At least he got a couple of good meals and a couple of peaceful nights of sleep. Meowed twice this morning and then went into the great beyond. RIP, little fella.

that's the same as saying we have another cat

Another day working in the yard. Took some cubes to the girls this morning. Ran a string trimmer for several hours…hot & humid. Have to get the daughter married off this weekend.

Then back to trees, fences, and a little more spraying. May try to gather the cows again to vaccinate & ralgro the three that escaped earlier this spring. Hasn't rained in a few days…if this continues, weekend after next could prove to be pretty productive.

Well, I tried on the tux for my daughter's wedding (this Saturday)…pretty good except for one thing…the tie is pink…pink?!…The groomsmen all got green…the rest of us got pink. I look like either a) an ad for a funeral home or b) an ad for Tacky Jackie's Clothes for Hoes…lol…what we do for our kids. Need to get a hat and shades and rock the Blues Brothers look…lol again…pretty sure she would shoot that idea down…oh well. At least the tux fits good. Y'all be good out there while while this old man is giving away his baby girl.

Last edited:
Back on the home place…got about 10 acres sprayed with Grazon P+D and Cryder…the Johnson grass was going to town in the larger hay pasture…guess it was taking advantage of the time it was too wet for the tractor…will finish that one and the smaller hay pasture tomorrow. Then some Grazon on some grazing pastures. As for the rye from earlier posts…total loss…weather just not cooperative at all this past spring. The coastal Bermuda is coming on pretty good…should get some decent hay from that provided this summer isn't as bad as the last two. I'll take the girls a couple of bags of cubes when I go down there tomorrow…wouldn't want them to feel ignored.

Baby girl married off and the wedding/reception were both very nice. Tripped the light fantastic with her during the father-daughter dance…the ol' man still has a few moves…lol

Now a nephew getting married in July in Arkansas, the missus and I having our 30th in September, and son getting hitched in October. No rest for the weary.

Latest posts