Hello from China

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Howdy from behind the red curtain. I will be over here for three weeks and am trying to keep up with the new topics. I am enjoying the food and people but miss my cows already :lol: I'm going to attend a big trade show for the next two days. I'll check and see if there are any ranch supplies being displayed.

HOSS":zkaemmg8 said:
Howdy from behind the red curtain. I will be over here for three weeks and am trying to keep up with the new topics. I am enjoying the food and people but miss my cows already :lol: I'm going to attend a big trade show for the next two days. I'll check and see if there are any ranch supplies being displayed.

You're a long way from home. I hope you enjoy the trip.

What are you trading?

Hopefully this forum will bring a little bit of home to you while you are there.

Say hello to my China Light and Power customers while you are there. Tell them they need to buy that upgrade. :lol:

Gate Opener":1bldpa04 said:
What are you trading?

Hopefully this forum will bring a little bit of home to you while you are there.

For this trip I am in the power tools business as well as decorative outdoor sensor lighting. I am going to be in 14 cities in 18 days so busy is the word. This is my 15th trip in 4 years :shock: Boy how time flies! Went to the Canton Trade Fair today. Spent all day in the Tools area so tomorrow I may branch out and see if the are any ag displays.

Have you run across any funny mistranslations? I heard a story on the radio a day or two ago about a man who has been hired to straighten out a lot of mistranslations on billboards, menus, etc. before the 2008 Olympics. They gave a bunch of examples, but one I remember was "Mouth Watering Chicken" translated as "Saliva Chicken" :shock: Also, he mentioned that there were frequent misspellings, especially on menus so "blackened carp" or "boiled crab" may be on the menu as "blackened crap" or "boiled crap"!

docgraybull":1sbg30ck said:
Have you run across any funny mistranslations? I heard a story on the radio a day or two ago about a man who has been hired to straighten out a lot of mistranslations on billboards, menus, etc. before the 2008 Olympics. They gave a bunch of examples, but one I remember was "Mouth Watering Chicken" translated as "Saliva Chicken" :shock: Also, he mentioned that there were frequent misspellings, especially on menus so "blackened carp" or "boiled crab" may be on the menu as "blackened crap" or "boiled crap"!

What you have heard is true. A team of English Professors has been hired to review all of the english signs in Beijing before the olympics. Misspelled or translations that do not make any sense or very, very common from huge billboards to resturant menus. Even 5 star hotels suffer from this. I have to read everything over several times to make sure that I have it right. I saw Mercedes Benz spelled out as Mercedes Bends on a big billboard yesterday.

Here's some of the local news: High today about 70 and Sunny. Calling for more of the same for about a week. Pacman Jones :roll: took out a full page ad in the paper to apologize and promise to do better. Guy we let Turkey hunt saw 23 out of his blind between 6:30 and 7:30 the other day.

And now some fake news: The Govenor declared your place a Tennessee Treasure so they're going to bulldoze it flat and pave it so everyone can come and enjoy it's "natural" beauty. :D

Be careful
Cuz

CUZ":2kez3tae said:
Here's some of the local news: High today about 70 and Sunny. Calling for more of the same for about a week. Pacman Jones :roll: took out a full page ad in the paper to apologize and promise to do better. Guy we let Turkey hunt saw 23 out of his blind between 6:30 and 7:30 the other day.

And now some fake news: The Govenor declared your place a Tennessee Treasure so they're going to bulldoze it flat and pave it so everyone can come and enjoy it's "natural" beauty. :D

Be careful
Cuz

I wrote PacMan off of my favorite list many moons ago so that news doen't make me feel homesick.......turkey hunting however is another story. Can't wait to get back and do some feather fluffing myself. You don't know how close to home you where on the dozer work. I have a guy on my place right now clearing off a spot for me to build a new home. I am not there to supervise so hopefully he doesn't bull doze in my spring or take out any fences :lol:

I picked up an airline magazine from Xiamen Airlines this morning on an inter-country flight. It has some doozies on the english mangling. I will post some examples later. Gotta run to dinner with some suppliers.

Latest posts