Heirloom Seeds

Help Support CattleToday:

JR Tyner

Reaction score
Heirloom plants are a cultivar that was commonly grown during earlier periods in human history, but which is not used in modern large-scale agriculture.

Where can I find seeds like this?

Heirlooms.jpg

I like the Brandywine and Cherokee Purple.

Jackson Wonder Bush:

DixieButterpea.jpg

Tongues of Fire:

2008_08_20-shellbeans2.jpg

Longhorn Okra:

Okra.jpg

Google heirloom seed catalogs. I used to order them just to look at the pictures. They are beautiful plants, but I do not have near the skill it takes to grow them.

angie":29zs1kti said:
Google heirloom seed catalogs. I used to order them just to look at the pictures. They are beautiful plants, but I do not have near the skill it takes to grow them.

You know your bored when.....................
:help:

BeefmasterB":23k5jpbu said:
angie":23k5jpbu said:

Your reading this thread and don't have a garden. :help:

novatech":38wanqa8 said:
BeefmasterB":38wanqa8 said:
angie":38wanqa8 said:

That's true, unless you count what's growing in the refridgerator :cowboy: Seriously, I checked out the thread because my neighbor at the office once gave me an heirloom tomatoe plant. And, I'm proud to say that I made a major contribution to the health of the local Mockingbirds that year :nod:

novatech":39mkd52s said:
BeefmasterB":39mkd52s said:
angie":39mkd52s said:

:lol2:
touche'
:clap: :tiphat:

You can get seeds from the USDA germplasm collections, many of them are heirlooms and from around the world. The seeds are free but you are supposed to be doing a project or study of some sort, I made up one just so I could get the seeds!!
Go to this link and click on "request germplasm" to pick which seeds you want
http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/

Greetings...and in my loooong recovery period from cancer, since I am a genetics freak, I studied heirloom plant books, especially heirloom vegetables...this past year (2008) I started/grew/sold 51 different heirloom tomatoes/plants along with other heirloom veggies....this year (2009) I have the seed for about 150 different heirloom veggies ready to put in dirt and get them started timely, inside....I saved many seeds that I am willing to share (on tomatoes) and have huge amounts of catalog suggestions...also, simply Ebay....you can shop and shop with your eyes there and for small prices (usually) you can see LOADS of colors! Like I said, private me and I'll be glad to get you some seeds to start with! Beef and gardening blessings, John :banana:

For tomatoes I use Tomato Growers (tomatogrowers.com). I have had some germination issues in some cases but was never left with nothing, and their selection is unreal. Totally Tomatoes (totallytomato.com) has a lot too. Seeds of Change have alot of heirloom and organic seeds but they tens to be spendy.

I bought a "German Queen",at Low's....Hadn't heard of it so looked it up-it's an herloom plant!!!! :banana:

JR Tyner":2lmvoskx said:
Heirloom plants are a cultivar that was commonly grown during earlier periods in human history, but which is not used in modern large-scale agriculture.

Where can I find seeds like this?

Heirlooms.jpg

I like the Brandywine and Cherokee Purple.

Jackson Wonder Bush:

DixieButterpea.jpg

Tongues of Fire:

2008_08_20-shellbeans2.jpg

Longhorn Okra:

Okra.jpg

I have planted the Jackson Wonder Butter beans. Mine were more flat and not as plump.
Here is a website for some heirloom seeds.
http://www.southernexposure.com/Merchan ... _Code=SESE

I think you're right, hurley. Those look like speckled butterpeas rather than Jackson Wonders. I've grown both.

I ordered some seeds from Baker Creek this year. I also requested a catalog, but they have run out. All of their seed stock is supposed to be pure.

Latest posts