Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I am not much of a heifer buyer. Don't like the idea... BUT

ANy ways we purchased some heifers and they hit our pasture on 10-28-06 with our bulls.

When we bought them they had already been exposed to bulls. By 12-28-06 we had a calf hit the ground and they have been hitting the ground up to this day.

I roughly estimated that any calf after 8-6-07 would be from out bulls.

Around 70% have had calves, 22% are showing being bred, and 8% show no signs to this date.

I was saying to ship out the the ones showing no sign and another person was saying to keep them longer and see.

What do yall think?

Thought about palpating them and then shipping if stil nothing?

Brute 23":10axztl2 said:

ANy ways we purchased some heifers and they hit our pasture on 10-28-06 with our bulls.

When we bought them they had already been exposed to bulls. By 12-28-06 we had a calf hit the ground and they have been hitting the ground up to this day.

Around 70% have had calves, 22% are showing being bred, and 8% show no signs to this date.

I was saying to ship outbefore i sent the heifers to the sale id palpate them.they could be bred to your blls. the the ones showing no sign and another person was saying to keep them longer and see.

What do yall think?
id have the heifers palpated.you dont want to accadently sale bred heifers.that way anything thats open you can cull.if bred you can calve them.

Brute 23":3t3evwzx said:

I was saying to ship out the the ones showing no sign and another person was saying to keep them longer and see.

What do yall think?

Since the first calf from these heifers hit the ground on 12/28/06, that means(according to the gestation tables)that these heifers were exposed to a bull beginning March 18, 2006. Assuming they were with a bull up until they were delivered to you, and that you leave your bulls in year round, the 8% that are showing no signs of being bred have been exposed to a bull for better than a year - they should have already calved or at the very least be heavy bred if they were going to settle. I don't believe I would bother with a preg-check, I believe I would sell them.

msscamp":9wtqrqta said:
Brute 23":9wtqrqta said:

What do yall think?

Since the first calf from these heifers hit the ground on 12/28/06, that means(according to the gestation tables)that these heifers were exposed to a bull beginning March 18, 2006. Assuming they were with a bull up until they were delivered to you, and that you leave your bulls in year round, the 8% that are showing no signs of being bred have been exposed to a bull for better than a year - they should have already calved or at the very least be heavy bred if they were going to settle. I don't believe I would bother with a preg-check, I believe I would sell them.

That was my thinking... it has been long enough.

Brute 23":1i8jccj9 said:
msscamp":1i8jccj9 said:
Brute 23":1i8jccj9 said:

What do yall think?

That was my thinking... it has been long enough.

It looks to me like your thinking is dead on.

Latest posts