Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We took heifers to sale this week and most came out bred. Anywhere from 675-700 at 4 months along to 850 at 7 months... Would anybody here have any problems with leaving all these heifers to calf?? We left all but two and they were aborted do to us not being close enough to stop them from being aborted. Just wondering about others opinions. Jake

[email protected]

> We took heifers to sale this week
> and most came out bred. Anywhere
> from 675-700 at 4 months along to
> 850 at 7 months... Would anybody
> here have any problems with
> leaving all these heifers to
> calf?? We left all but two and
> they were aborted do to us not
> being close enough to stop them
> from being aborted. Just wondering
> about others opinions. Jake

I usually breed my heifers to calve when they weight about 2/3% to 3/4% of thier mature weight or at about 22 to 26 months old when they calve.

[email protected]

> about others opinions. Jake ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~if there under 1 year old there way to young.you could have a dissaster on your hands.id sell in a heartbeat.heavy calves are selling great right now.why take the chance.if you do keep them.make sure you give a bag of collastrom to the calves. hefers that young wont have strong enough collastrom for the newborns.an after that the hefers wont milk very well ether.ther just to young.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tc

Ooooopppppssss! Four to 7 months old being bred (accidentally or on purpose) is WAY TOO YOUNG! We start exposing our Longhorns to a bull at about 14 months old; and, they are generally in the 650 to 800 lb range (our cows usually mature at around 950 to 1100 lbs).

If those calves were in fact bred, I'd have the Vet give them a shot to abort the pregnancy...just my 2 cents worth.

[email protected]

They are all bred accidentally... They will all calf at 3/4 or so of their mature weight. Our retained cows mature at 1000-1125. Moderate size to be economical. The 7 monther will be around #925 when she calfs out which is 100 plus or minus pounds above 75%. Thanks for all the feedback

Jake

[email protected]

Jake, much of the outcome of these accidental breedings will depend on the pelvic diameter measurements of your heifers and the epd's of the bull. I would talk to your vet about the value of checking pelvic diameter now. If any of the heifers happen to have very small measurements, you might be looking at a c section. I would want to know ahead of time if they were my heifers.

> They are all bred accidentally...
> They will all calf at 3/4 or so of
> their mature weight. Our retained
> cows mature at 1000-1125. Moderate
> size to be economical. The 7
> monther will be around #925 when
> she calfs out which is 100 plus or
> minus pounds above 75%. Thanks for
> all the feedback

> Jake

They bull is our old heifer bull from before we started to A.I. EPD wise he is great. His calves are usually around 70 pounds of hfrs and 75 on bulls. We usually don't have a vet check them out for any calving ease type problems. Usually the "trained" eye of my grandfather or myself determines if she will have it or not...

[email protected]

I've had fair luck with "accidental" breedings when there was brahman influence on the cows.

> about others opinions. Jake

What breed are they? What breed is the bull? I personally would not chance it. I would give shots to abort them and keep them away from a bull until about 15 months old. It sounds like you're going to have a mess if they go through the pregnancies. Probably wind up losing heifers as well as the calves.

Angus and angus-charlois crosses. We really aren't worried about calving dificulty due to size and stage of pregnancy and growth potential in the next few months before birth. We've calved many heifers at 14-18 of age with no problems and they raise great calves.... Matter of genetics and care. Jake

[email protected]

> Ooooopppppssss! Four to 7 months
> old being bred (accidentally or on
> purpose) is WAY TOO YOUNG! We
> start exposing our Longhorns to a
> bull at about 14 months old; and,
> they are generally in the 650 to
> 800 lb range (our cows usually
> mature at around 950 to 1100 lbs).

> If those calves were in fact bred,
> I'd have the Vet give them a shot
> to abort the pregnancy...just my 2
> cents worth. Four to seven months bred not four to seven months old.

[email protected]

We knocked the calves out of the 4 monthers this past week. The vet advised not to waste the money on aborting the 7 monther. He said that when the calf gets to that stage the calf will most likely shrug the shot off and go through term anyways. She is wide enough in the rear to have it, so I guess time will tell... Thanks for your comments Jake

[email protected]

Latest posts