Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

johndeereboy

Reaction score
I have 5 heifers that will be calving soon. Should they get a little bit of grain per day and all the hay they want? ( I currently keep a round bale in the pen with them). I will also get some mineral.

Please tell me if I am doing this right.

If the hay is of decent quality and the heifers are in BCS 6 or higher they don;t require a supplement. But, if you give them a 1/2 pound or so if grain late in the evening there is a better chance that they will calve during the day instead of the middle of the night.

dun

dun":911p17mo said:
If the hay is of decent quality and the heifers are in BCS 6 or higher they don;t require a supplement. But, if you give them a 1/2 pound or so if grain late in the evening there is a better chance that they will calve during the day instead of the middle of the night.

dun
I agree. Good quality free choice Hay, and a little Feed. As far as a 32% Tub goes, if they coughed, you'd get sprayed. I would not recommend anything over 16% Protein. Beef Cattle can't even utilize those high numbered Tubs.

As long as there not losing condition then your doin alright also pick up a good supplement just ask you local retailer what will work for you area