Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
I Thought this year I was gonna get a live calf from all of my heifers. I usually only keep the best 4 or 5 every year. Had 5 of the 2016 bunch and 4 of them all calved unassisted. Saw last one yesterday about 5 of to herself circling . Went and checked and no mucuses loose but not as much as expected and bag full. I gave her a couple hours and found her in woods with a big dead calf . She cleaned him so no idea what happened. I called the dairy this morning and she had one heifer calf that was born yesterday morning. I skint the dead calf went and got heifer and tied hide on. Put them together this afternoon. She immediately went to licking it . Sniff the hide and moo then sniff the head . Back and forth back and forth. Calf got up and followed her around but didn't try to nurse yet. She's standing over her now just looking at her. Maybe it takes.

Good job M5, I had a first time heifer calve Friday and she could not of cared less. Put both in the pen and she was not interested. I milked her and fed calf, and bought more colostrum from my vet. Kept them penned up tight. Tried to get baby to nurse mom but not having it. Called a friend that's a contractor and traded calf for some future cement work. Probably wait ,feed heifer out and freezer her.

papavillars":owtiwtxq said:
Good job M5, I had a first time heifer calve Friday and she could not of cared less. Put both in the pen and she was not interested. I milked her and fed calf, and bought more colostrum from my vet. Kept them penned up tight. Tried to get baby to nurse mom but not having it. Called a friend that's a contractor and traded calf for some future cement work. Probably wait ,feed heifer out and freezer her.
I had one last yr like that , this year she has one she loves and even loves another calf and let's both suck . I just stepped out the check on them one more time before dark and mama is now talking to calf and nudging her to get up. Calf ain't having nothing to do with it and wants to sleep.

M-5":365d88i3 said:
I Thought this year I was gonna get a live calf from all of my heifers. I usually only keep the best 4 or 5 every year. Had 5 of the 2016 bunch and 4 of them all calved unassisted. Saw last one yesterday about 5 of to herself circling . Went and checked and no mucuses loose but not as much as expected and bag full. I gave her a couple hours and found her in woods with a big dead calf . She cleaned him so no idea what happened. I called the dairy this morning and she had one heifer calf that was born yesterday morning. I skint the dead calf went and got heifer and tied hide on. Put them together this afternoon. She immediately went to licking it . Sniff the hide and moo then sniff the head . Back and forth back and forth. Calf got up and followed her around but didn't try to nurse yet. She's standing over her now just looking at her. Maybe it takes.

If she is talking to it, she has already claimed it. Hides never fail here.

M5; we also skin out the dead calf and I will put it on a "replacement" calf. Occasionally I can get them to just accept a new calf because they are wanting a "baby" but usually the skinning out and putting it on the new one will do the trick. Have not had much luck this year, the longhorn had a dead calf, grudgingly accepted a calf for 2 days then decided she would put it against the wall everytime I turned away so she went down the road.
Had another older cow that had a big dead calf and when we got her in the chute to check her udder, she went nuts and kicked like she meant to kill my son. After a couple of tries and not being able to even get his hand around a teat, said that's it. I wouldn't subject a baby calf to that kind of b$%#^%t. She will go with a couple of other cull cows in the next few days.
Had an old cow that calved. Don't know if the calf was alive at birth but when I found them the next morning the buzzards were all over it and it was dead. We have had alot of other calves, and I have gotten a few up out of the muck and moved over onto some rolled out hay to get them out of the slop. So far, they are surviving. At least today was dry, very chilly and breezy, but the sun was out and it felt a little bit warm so that will be a big help.

KNOCK ON WOOD... have not had a bit of problems with the first calf heifers. 14 on the ground, 2 to go and they are about a week or two off. I probably jinxed it, but they have done great in all this crap weather. The ones I AI'd will be starting the first of May, there are 5 heifers and 2 cows due ; 5 in may, 2 later in mid june to a 2nd breeding AI. One I never could get in heat so got bred by the cleanup bull for a late June calf.

My oldest nurse cow dropped a small heifer calf last week. Angus cross. Cow (Lara) is a 1/2 jersey 1/2 holstein, but has the size and color of the holstein. I have gotten her to take a dk brown jersey/hol cross heifer, and an older b&w jersey/holstein cross heifer has also decided she can get a meal . So she is pretty much set with 3. I will bring her in to the calves to nurse so the calves will grow up tamer and when they get to the month old size may let them run with the cow also. Lara can be a bit moody out in the field, but milks good out of 3 quarters so I will deal with her little moods. Not too kicky, just not always acommodating out in the field. What I would give for a half a dozen like my old guernsey who lets them nurse anywhere they take a notion. She doesn't milk that good, but I am trying for a AI guersey heifer out of her before she gets too old. She was a rescue/starving to death from the stockyards, and has been a peach to work with. I so want a guernsey heifer out of her.

I went out this morning to check on pair and as soon as I shined the light on them calf was layed out broad side , I said a few words and went in , she had gotten hide up around a front leg and was just bound up. I cut it off and she sat up straight. Mama mist likely licked it up around her.

Agree with Gcreek. If she's talking she's claimed it. Also on the hide. Just my personal preference but I never tie the hide on, I take the hide all the way down to the knees and hocks, then cut slits in each leg then put the new calf's legs through the slits in the hide just like putting on a sweater.

When I skin out a dead calf, I basically do it so that it is like a tube. Kinda like silver, but without putting the feet thru individual slits. I put the calfs' head in, then the front feet in slide it up over and it just sorta fits around the calf like a tube sock. I try to not make it tight but leave enough intact so it doesn't need to be tied on but fits around the calf enough to keep it on without interferring with a bull calf and his peeing. Don't usually have any trouble with the cow when she gets to licking it as it will either go forward or backward on the body and most times I will find it in the pen where it has just slid off when the cow is licking the new calf. Sometimes I will find it kinda hanging around the neck, but 99% of the time the cow has "licked it off" within a day or two. By then she is licking the actual calf and the manure smells right to her from her milk going thru the calf's system.

M-5":398krdf7 said:
I went out this morning to check on pair and as soon as I shined the light on them calf was layed out broad side , I said a few words and went in , she had gotten hide up around a front leg and was just bound up. I cut it off and she sat up straight. Mama mist likely licked it up around her.

Sounds like a successful grafting. Congrats, it's always a nice feeling to salvage a lactation and give a new mother a chance to do what nature intended.

I skin the dead calf,let the hide dry a little, then run a bead of backtag cement down the length of the hide. Slap it on the new calf and put it in with the cow.

This is definitely the easiest one I've done. I opened them up to a bigger area this afternoon and calf took off running in the lot. As most new heifers do she chases her around so she doesn't get to far. All four quarters were also sucked.

M-5":3g87w32k said:
This is definitely the easiest one I've done. I opened them up to a bigger area this afternoon and calf took off running in the lot. As most new heifers do she chases her around so she doesn't get to far. All four quarters were also sucked.

Sounds like a winner! Glad it worked out so well. Where I used to work, a couple of times, the hide-from-dead-calf trick was used and worked out alright.

Glad it went well M5. Ive helped a friend do the hide trick once and it worked out. Also i had a friend show me a trick using vanilla flavoring that has worked several times for me. We run the cow in the chute and rub the flavoring in her nose, the pour some on the calves head and back, bring it around for her to smell. After that put the calf in chute behind the cow and let it nurse, once done we pen them together for a few days and it normally works out. Ive had to catch the cow in the chute a couple days in some instances and let the calf nurse but in most cases usually after a few days they bonded and all is well.

Lost a good cow yesterday, I have an orphan now..
I've got him on 3 different cows, he'll learn to steal here pretty quick.. There are some distinct benefits to halter broke cows

Nesikep":3kvlt4lt said:
Lost a good cow yesterday, I have an orphan now..
I've got him on 3 different cows, he'll learn to steal here pretty quick.. There are some distinct benefits to halter broke cows

That stinks, what happened? Looks like a really big calf?

Sounds like you had great success. I've heard of skinning the calf, but I like the idea of making it into a tube.

I haven't grafter a calf onto a cow for many years, but when I did, I just took the afterbirth and rubbed all the "gook" all over the calf and tied it around it's neck. Anytime I have a cow/heifer that is not a good licker, I use O-No-More. It's a powder that you sprinkle on the calf. A cow cannot resist licking it.
I would never buy a calf and bring it on my farm during calving. You are taking a risk of getting all your newborns sick with the bugs the "stranger" calf has. Just because the new calf is healthy, doesn't mean it won't make your newborns sick. A healthy animal from another farm, carries bugs that it is immune to because of the exposure on their own farm. But, your cattle do not have the exact same bugs as another farm. Risky business as far as I'm concerned.

Latest posts