heifers to cross w/angus bull

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We have a new blk. angus bull and a mixed breed herd. I would like to add some new heifers to the herd and I'm thinking about South Devon, Gelbvieh to put some frame size on them. We have some South Devon, Brangus, Hereford mix already.What do you folks think? I would prefer to stick with more docile cattle. Black sells better in our area, but I'm open to other colors to improve our herd.

try Normande, Simmental, Tarentaise or Braunvieh, gentle cattle with good quality grade meat, in addition you will have excellent replacement heifers with good milk and maternal traits

> We have a new blk. angus bull and
> a mixed breed herd. I would like
> to add some new heifers to the
> herd and I'm thinking about South
> Devon, Gelbvieh to put some frame
> size on them. We have some South
> Devon, Brangus, Hereford mix
> already.What do you folks think? I
> would prefer to stick with more
> docile cattle. Black sells better
> in our area, but I'm open to other
> colors to improve our herd.

[email protected]

> We have a new blk. angus bull and
> a mixed breed herd. I would like
> to add some new heifers to the
> herd and I'm thinking about South
> Devon, Gelbvieh to put some frame
> size on them. We have some South
> Devon, Brangus, Hereford mix
> already.What do you folks think? I
> would prefer to stick with more
> docile cattle. Black sells better
> in our area, but I'm open to other
> colors to improve our herd. angus will cross very well with your brangus and also with the hereford. you should market some very nice calves that will bring premium prices. cattle don't come more docile than hereford, and brangus are usually pretty docile

[email protected]

If your herd is mainly crossbred animals now and you do not plan on getting into registered stock buy QUALITY xbred heifers. What breeds of quality heifers are available in the local area that are raised similar to your herd. You are better off with herd of cows of similar breed compostion. This will allow you to sell a more uniformed calf crop. I prefer black angus and they do well under my climatic conditions.

Gelbvieh and South Devon cows make good momas. However, I would encourage you to buy Gelbvieh/Angus (aka Balancers) or S. Devon/Angus cross cows. Gelbviehs and S. Devons cross well with Angus since the breed strengths compliment the other.

Research continues to show that good crossbred cows will outperform their purebred pasture mates in fertility, pounds of calf weaned, and stay in the herd longer due to hybrid vigor.

Latest posts