Heifers sold off the farm

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Sold some heifers straight off the farm to someone starting out. Tried to be fair with them and me too. Going work them next weekend for the couple before they pick them up. They are 190-209 days old. Would you have bought them? 3 registered and 1 commercial

P1070912.jpg

P1070902.jpg

P1070883.jpg

P1070881.jpg

P1070878.jpg

robertwhite":nbk6r2my said:
tom4018":nbk6r2my said:
Would you have bought them? 3 registered and 1 commercial

In my personal opinion, it would depend on what they went for.
What would you say they are worth? 2 avgerage 500 pounds and the other 2 600 pounds.

with the prices of calves at the sale barn.the reg calves depending on their bloodlines are worth between a $1000 an $1200ea.the comm heifer is worth maybe $800 to $1000.

I sold 2 last spring during our drought about that size and caliber, non black commercial, for near $700.00 ea.
Was planning on making them replacements. Oh well. Weather said maybe not.
I'd hate to have to buy them back this spring though.

bigbull338":11w7e8nn said:
with the prices of calves at the sale barn.the reg calves depending on their bloodlines are worth between a $1000 an $1200ea.the comm heifer is worth maybe $800 to $1000.
Registered...with papers?? For a friend?? Not a dime less than $2000 if they were mine.

Totally saleable heifers! You don't need to question that. If you got the price you wanted/needed out of them, you did good. You can't eat or preg-check papers, and I don't think papers always make them more valuable; and by that, I'm not saying anything about the quality of those girls -- just my statement about papers. And it's nice that you're working with the buyers, to work with the calves. :)

bigbull338":3luw9yfy said:

I held back 16 and sold the culls for $750 each. Who wants a trailer full for for $16,000?

cypressfarms":1pf1wkte said:
I like 'em.

Especially the one on the right in the third picture; she's got a nice long body.

I agree with you on that heifer and I disagree with Kathie. If they were being sold thru the sale ring for commercial or slaughter then papers don't mean squat but they ARE registered cattle and papers have value.

as far as what they are worth. they are worth their valuse at the sale barn plus the registered ones are worth more for their genetic potential.

BTW what are they. Judging by the little bit of extra leather I see they would look to be balancers maybe or possibley straight Gelbvieh?

3waycross":199g905v said:
as far as what they are worth. they are worth their valuse at the sale barn plus the registered ones are worth more for their genetic potential.

BTW what are they. Judging by the little bit of extra leather I see they would look to be balancers maybe or possibley straight Gelbvieh?

tom4018":1v0tocpf said:
3waycross":1v0tocpf said:

NIce girls. Nice numbers. Even if they are BLACK ANGUS. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :tiphat:

3waycross":1ya6fh98 said:
tom4018":1ya6fh98 said:
3waycross":1ya6fh98 said:

NIce girls. Nice numbers. Even if they are BLACK ANGUS. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :tiphat:
Forgot to say that i kept the balancer for myself.

Well kinda.

From some of the prices everyone is stating I may have cut myself short. I did better than they best salebarn for that sized weaned calf. Most people around here are after a bargain and papers are not worth much to them. My opinion was that 2 of these were pretty nice, really hated to see one go but can only keep so many. I made more than selling at the salebarn so I am happy but it looks like I might have left some money on the table, if I had the hay and space I could have done better holding them to breeding age.

On another note for those that sell off the farm. Do you accept checks? I have never felt comfortable taking checks from someone I don't know and ask for cash. I get some strange responses.

BTW what are they. Judging by the little bit of extra leather I see they would look to be balancers maybe or possibley straight Gelbvieh?[/quote]
16978958[/quote]

NIce girls. Nice numbers. Even if they are BLACK ANGUS. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :tiphat:[/quote]

What is a balancer?
Well kinda.[/quote]

Stepbystep":eqryxgpg said:
16978958[/quote]

NIce girls. Nice numbers. Even if they are BLACK ANGUS. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :tiphat:[/quote]

What is a balancer?
Well kinda.[/quote][/quote]
Gelbvieh Angus cross.

Stepbystep":17gk1e0a said:
16978958[/quote]

What is a balancer?
Well kinda.[/quote][/quote]

Latest posts