heifer's hoof (picture)

Help Support CattleToday:

LimousinGirl

Reaction score
I was out with the cattle yesterday, and I noticed this on this heifer's hoof. Is this what they call that "hairy heel wart", or is it nothing/something else?

Shenandoah_s_hoof_2.JPG

Shenandoah_s_hoof.JPG

LG

Nope. Most older animals have them, look more like a callous. With HHW they;ll limp and favor the sore foot.

I'm agreeing with dun... and saying leave it alone, it's perfectly normal. The side view looked questionable, but from the front it's definitely not a corn.

Hippie Rancher":2uknuhp8 said:
looks pretty normal, can you post a pick of both feet together for comparison?

I'll try to get one tomorrow, they were out in the back when I went out there. But I was looking at some of the others hoofs and they looked sorta like that, just not quite as obvious. So I'm beginning to think it's probally just nothing...but hey, this is our best heifer so I sure didn't want anything happening to her! :)

LG

dun":3863s4p4 said:
What is it that you think is wrong?

well....now I don;t really think anything is wrong, but when I first saw it I was like [/i]oh no, somthing is wrong with her hoof because I had never noticed it looking like that before. (thought it was hairy heel wart or somthing :))But now that I looked at the other ones it looks pretty normal...:)

A hairy heel wart has hair (looking stuff) growing out of it. The hair (looking stuff) sticks straight out and doesn;t lay like normal hair.