Heifers for breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

lithuanian farmer

Reaction score
Finally have started AI for heifers. Going to leave 8 or 9. There is one 1st calver, which will be culled if she'll have a repeat heat soon.
One heifer was AI'ed last week. One is inheat today. One should be tomorrow. All heifers are 14-17 months old.
DSCF3075.jpg
This one has already been AI'ed with Blonde.
DSCF3154.jpg
This one is inheat today. Will use an old AngusxSalers bull, which we've used on BBx heifers before.
DSCF3138.jpg
This one should be in heat tomorrow. Will use piedmontese.
DSCF3131.jpg

DSCF3130.jpg

DSCF3142.jpg

DSCF3113.jpg

DSCF3042.jpg

DSCF3035.jpg

DSCF3044.jpg

If we'll need to cull the 1st calver, will have to choose one heifer from two. Both are nice heifers, with lots of potential. Have one full sister of both in the herd.
DSCF3063.jpg

DSCF3023.jpg

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2xkt0fsz said:
Nice "meat wagons" you got there. These will be a little young for what you usually breed, aren't they?
Yes, they are abit younger and smaller, but we'll keep them on meal and won't keep with cows, so they should reach a nice size before calving.
At the moment we have one Angusx heifer due in August, which is 2 years old now. Will see how she does as a mother.

I always calve my heifers at (or very near 22-25 months) and would never hold them for an older age. They don't get any grain after they are bred - turned out on grass. But, come winter time, they are kept separate from the mature cows so they don't have to fight for their hay. Keep them separate after they calve also, until we turn out on grass.

They are too small to be away from grain. Also the ones, which we'll cull are in the same group. Plus it's very dry now and not much of grass. Have to keep them growing.
Heifers will be kept away from cows during winter. Will let them out in the field before their calving and will keep in a separate group from mature cows next year. This year fall calving heifers will join them around May.

Only two left for their first AI. The 1st calver has repeated heat, so the red heifer will be kept instead.
Yesterday was he first term after AI for the first heifer, and she seems calm.

Always like seeing your pictures :).. I do like the look of the Limousin influence cattle, but found I don't want more than half influence in any of my stock.. 1/4 is about perfect, with 1/2 Gelbvieh and 1/4 of something else

Everybody has their own taste :) I like most of our crosses for different traits. Angus cows seem to be milky and have good growth, Limousine and especially BB adds some muscles, Charolais add some frame and etc. No bad breed.

lithuanian farmer":37dfqmvd said:
Everybody has their own taste :) I like most of our crosses for different traits. Angus cows seem to be milky and have good growth, Limousine and especially BB adds some muscles, Charolais add some frame and etc. No bad breed.
Except salers..

Lazy M":5sr6xc5u said:
lithuanian farmer":5sr6xc5u said:
Except salers..
Well, Salers is one of the easiest calving breed. I wouldn't mind abit of Salers in more cows. Have a couple with 25% or less.

Lazy M":bfvjnsdc said:
lithuanian farmer":bfvjnsdc said:
Except salers..
I don't know if I'd want high percentage Saler cows, but Saler crosses are just fine... They're some of my best cows, better calving ability, better udders, better feet, and if well selected, temperaments are good too

Saler x Herf at 16 years old
IMG_6910s.jpg

Daughters (SH or GV sired)
IMG_9930s.jpg

IMG_0856_90.jpg

IMG_6116s.jpg

Granddaughters
20170329_121332s.jpg

20180518_133031s.jpg

IMG_8009sm.jpg

Gators Rule":3gb7chxg said:
lithuanian farmer":3gb7chxg said:
Finally some grass for the girls. It should be a good boost for growth.
WP_20180720_20_27_29_Pro.jpg

LOL. What is your definition of hardly any grass? Nothing like a lush green pasture!!
:lol: Can't say that we had no grass, but it was small and not much of it. And it was hella dry for the spring and June. However, still tried to keep heifers on a bit better pastures at that time. Now can enjoy a nice fresh second grass. No more overgrown, dry, brown grass...

Nesikep":3e8390f3 said:
Lazy M":3e8390f3 said:
lithuanian farmer":3e8390f3 said:
Except salers..
I don't know if I'd want high percentage Saler cows, but Saler crosses are just fine... They're some of my best cows, better calving ability, better udders, better feet, and if well selected, temperaments are good too

Saler x Herf at 16 years old
IMG_6910s.jpg

Daughters (SH or GV sired)
IMG_9930s.jpg

IMG_0856_90.jpg

IMG_6116s.jpg

Granddaughters
20170329_121332s.jpg

20180518_133031s.jpg

IMG_8009sm.jpg

Nesi, I like the cowbells! How do you decide who gets to wear them? Do they serve a purpose or just for fun?

It is mostly just for fun, but if they ever escape and go wandering down by the river, it helps finding them.. It might also help against predators, though we've never had a problem.. a few mean cows with bells ringing probably deters a cougar more than without them.

The cows that have bells know they're special, and I see them ringing them on purpose, or walking and swinging their head just a bit harder than what seems usual.

Here's a little trivia.
Does anyone know where or what "The Sounds of Music" was?
In Switzerland, each owner's herd wore a bell that the "bell maker" made just for that herd. Each herd had their own "sound" based on the fact (?) that cattle would stay with the same sound cattle. So, each herd had a different chime walking around the hills - thus "the sound of music".
Would you believe that many years ago, a group tried to stop the farmers from putting bells on the cows because it was "noise pollution" ??!!! Never heard how that turned out. Pretty sad.

Nesikep":1jhsx4za said:
It is mostly just for fun, but if they ever escape and go wandering down by the river, it helps finding them.. It might also help against predators, though we've never had a problem.. a few mean cows with bells ringing probably deters a cougar more than without them.

The cows that have bells know they're special, and I see them ringing them on purpose, or walking and swinging their head just a bit harder than what seems usual.

Sure, what girl doesn't like a little jewelry! Where do you buy them?

On second thought, it's been awhile since I bought my wife any jewelry. If I buy some of my cows jewelry.........ya that could be bad.

Latest posts