Heifers for breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Her hormonial change may have been what triggered the chaos.

She wasn't the one being chased. At least two heifers were "attacked" by the herdmates and both are highest ranking and closest to calving. Haven't seen the whole event from the start so can't know what has triggered them. But after we've calmed down them abit and were able to fix the fence, I had to spent some time with them as at at least two heifers wanted to fight with each other again. All were sweaty and breathing heavily. My guess would be that some lower ranking heifer decided to take over the higher rank and then all joined in and it turned into a chaos. The one which has aborted is the youngest one. I always kept a close eye on this group's udders development and this girl was just starting to show a slightly longer teats but no swelling. She was rather slow in development. It has changed by 180degrees in barely 5 days after their little "event". It was way too sudden for me to believe that it wasn't related.

Finally getting close to the calving. Would say the first calf should arrive in two weeks time. Today have let them out from their winter pasture to have a nice dry place for calving. It was all mud now.
Some of the girls:
DSCF3006.jpg

DSCF3002.jpg

DSCF3013.jpg

DSCF3020.jpg
I believe, this one will be the first to calve. In calf with red angus, due date is 4th of April, but she should calve in March.

Getting to the exciting end. I had a red angus calf a couple of weeks ago out of a red poll heifer and it came in at 40kg or 88pound. Thought it may have been a bit smaller. But he was born very easily.

20190313-112324.jpg

they are some big "young" girls.

The eldest ones are January born, the youngest- April. Really happy about their size. Not smaller than elder heifers were at the calving time. Actually, a couple maybe are bigger.

Redgully said:
Getting to the exciting end. I had a red angus calf a couple of weeks ago out of a red poll heifer and it came in at 40kg or 88pound. Thought it may have been a bit smaller. But he was born very easily.

20190313-112324.jpg

Nice looking pair.
We had four red angus calves last fall. All born unassisted, from two different sires, and the biggest one was close to ~90lbs. The heifer, which I wait to calve now, is incalf by another bull, but should be the easiest calving from all three. However, heifer has 114.6lbs birth weight herself, which might bring up her calf's weight. She looks very big now, so I've a thought about twins... But will see.

Another heifer has just calved. Has a blondex bull calf, born at 285th day. Heifer is 26months old. Calf should be over 110lbs. Not a single calf smaller than 90lbs this year yet, even from cows...
55496021-805380353160707-2646286181796413440-n.jpg

Better pics and real weights tomorrow.

Yesterday's blonde calf. 121.5lbs.
DSCF3005.jpg

Angusx bull calf. 107lbs.
DSCF3015.jpg

Both sired by easy calving, heifer safe bulls... There must be something in the water...

Very impressed with the blonde calf. He looks so good for only 7 days age. He is worth the assistance he needed at the delivery!
DSCF3049.jpg

Other two heifers due in two weeks with blonde calves. Fingers crossed for heifers!
DSCF3024.jpg

DSCF3037.jpg

LF, am I understanding that your first calf heifers being fed grain while in their first pregnancy? If yes, might want to keep an eye on them as those might be some big calves they're going to spit out. Those girls certainly have the muscle (and a little mud..LOL

Gators Rule said:
LF, am I understanding that your first calf heifers being fed grain while in their first pregnancy? If yes, might want to keep an eye on them as those might be some big calves they're going to spit out. Those girls certainly have the muscle (and a little mud..LOL

Yes, they get a little bit, just to boost their milk production. Maybe 1-1.5lbs a head per day. As we are trying out calving at the younger age, have kept them on meal to keep them growing. The first time we calve heifers that young and the first time we feed them grain until calving too... Better to have them bigger and slightly bigger calves than have them smaller. Not afraid of 100-110lbs calves. Would be better not to go over 120lbs for some girls, but it seems that those "easy calving" bulls we used aren't that extremely easy calved... We can see them from the house window, so it doesn't take much of time to check them. They are almost in the backyard...
Cleaning up from all the mud... Fingers crossed for a quick spring and grass.

Another blondex bull calf born yesterday. 281 days gestation, 112.4lbs. Mom is 26months old.
DSCF3010.jpg

Another one should calve soon too. She has been AI'ed two days later than this one. Looks big around her mid section, so probably another big bull calf.
The ratio for all AI calves is 1/2- heifers/bulls now.

Finally have a heifer born from heifers. Blondex born at 285 days yesterday, 94.8lbs, calved very easily. Mom just turned 26months old yesterday too.
DSCF3009.jpg

Other calves from heifers:
DSCF3005.jpg
12 days old.
DSCF3052.jpg
Angusx, 23days old.
DSCF3053.jpg
22days old and 7days old in the background.

All are good moms, so very happy about that. Next heifer is due after 4weeks with piedmontese calf.

Are you glad you started breeding your heifers earlier?

Yes, and that they are calving in spring. And have a good size too.
Younger heifers will be bred for the next year spring calving too. Some will be similar age, some are already 1.5years old now. Last year born heifers which will have a good size at the breeding time will be AI'ed. Those which are summer born and are smaller than I'd like to breed them, will be moved to the next year breeding.

Back when we retained high percentage continental heifers - - we still calved them at 2 years but we had a slightly lower bred up and a slightly lower breed back. They grew more for a longer period than the British kind, and I think that effected fertility.