heifers calved out YAY!!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

jcarkie

Reaction score
well all eight heifer have calved out of my hereford bull. :clap: now i don't what to before i go to bed without making rounds. had very little trouble all born from jan 14 - 31 except for one she calved yesterday. pulled one - his legs were not stretched out, just a little help, easy pull. then mom ran away i was following her dragging junior she came to herself after about 10 minutes, took right to him. :banana:

jcarkie":2zoeg1vg said:
well all eight heifer have calved out of my hereford bull. :clap: now i don't what to before i go to bed without making rounds. had very little trouble all born from jan 14 - 31 except for one she calved yesterday. pulled one - his legs were not stretched out, just a little help, easy pull. then mom ran away i was following her dragging junior she came to herself after about 10 minutes, took right to him. :banana:

Good for you :clap: :clap: :clap: :tiphat: mine were spread out from Aug 28th to one more to go in a couple of weeks. . . . . .No more fall calvers for me. I can't stand to see heifers get that thin and calves grow that much hair. I have a 5 month old Ozz Govenor son that looks like a freakin bear and not a pretty one at that.

Congratulations :cboy: One year we calved out six. In comparison to most, that's nothing. But when I told my cattle mentor, who is responsible for about 300, he made this big deal about it because it was 100%. It felt ridiculous but gratifying, and now that we've lost one I believe him and appreciate it even more. Great job!

We lost one out of a pair of twins a couple years ago and I am still bummed out on that one. You always think you coulda done something different or better.

If you raise cattle you are going to lose some. Take care of them the best you can, and they will be alright. No matter how many you have it still hurts to lose one.

jcarkie":ca33f1fy said:

That's great. I know with heifers you can't help but be anxious. I have seven heifers that will be calving beginning in March. Four home grown and three of some calves I picked up last year.
Couple years ago helped a heifer (she's not here now) with her first calf. Let her out of the head holder and she flat took off. Got her back to the barn with calf and it worked out. I know you were thinking that situation could go either way. Good Luck with them.

fitz

I'm very jealous! We are just starting on 110 and it is --11 and about 4 feet of snow. Will calve just like lambing through the shed with a whole lot of work. Have about 3 weeks until cows start. not asking for sympathy because I no how long it takes to make a calf. You did a good job ae proud and now those heifers will go ahead and make cows and start to help pay the bills.

We're just about to start calving.. I just let 2 of the 4 heifers I have from the field to the corrals so I can keep a closer eye on them.. I'm not too concerned about one of them, but the other didn't have a mother who led with a good example (she froze her ears off, part of her tail, and I think her mother licked her for the first time when she was about 3 months old)

I know a lot of people had a lot of misery this year with calving, good to hear of some good stories too!

First calf this year (last week) was out of a heifer... I was worried sick about this girl...to me she just didn't look like she was wide enough in the back end and all I could think was, "if she has a bullcalf, we're in trouble"... well, I checked her at 3a.m. and by 7a.m. my oldest daughter called on the cell phone and said, "do you know there's a calf out here?"...first thing outta my mouth was "is it alive?"... I went straight out and was SHOCKED. Found a beautiful 90lb HEIFER CALF!!! HUGE by our standards... Momma just stood there looking at me as if to say, "what?". I still can't believe it. Yes its out of my herdbull...so I need to go back and do some homework to find out where the heck this BW came from. Question... is there a condition in some cows (like gestational diabetes in women) that can contribute to high BW?

it's quite possible that there is such a condition.. I have one cow obsessed with making big calves, and she's not carrying them overdue either... 2 years ago was to a shorthorn bull, it was a 140 lb steer, last year was to a gelbvieh bull and it was a 120 lb heifer, the birthweights of her calves are about 20-30 lbs higher than herd average

Always love it when the calf is standing there looking at you and the cow looks at you too and says "I managed to do it without you noticing!"

Wisteria Farms":x30diun9 said:
First calf this year (last week) was out of a heifer... I was worried sick about this girl...to me she just didn't look like she was wide enough in the back end and all I could think was, "if she has a bullcalf, we're in trouble"... well, I checked her at 3a.m. and by 7a.m. my oldest daughter called on the cell phone and said, "do you know there's a calf out here?"...first thing outta my mouth was "is it alive?"... I went straight out and was SHOCKED. Found a beautiful 90lb HEIFER CALF!!! HUGE by our standards... Momma just stood there looking at me as if to say, "what?". I still can't believe it. Yes its out of my herdbull...so I need to go back and do some homework to find out where the heck this BW came from. Question... is there a condition in some cows (like gestational diabetes in women) that can contribute to high BW?

I believe that the greatest influence after genetics is Wheather, if you have a really cold 3rd trimester it sure seems to load up on those birth weights.

Latest posts