heifers calved and hopefully bred back

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
Out of my 9 bred heifers I had 8 healthy calves born with the newest about 3 weeks old now. I have a bull that has been breeding my other 11 younger heifers. I am hoping he is getting the cows with calves bred as they come back in. When should I catch em all to castrate the 3 bull calves and should I then keep the bull up until they all calf again? The young calves born are not out of him by the way and I plan to sell the soon to be steers and keep the heifers.

Congratulations on your calves. When you say you did get 8 out of 9, what happened to the 9th one?
On the castration, we castrate ours when we wean them. A lot of people do it as soon as they hit the ground. We use a bander. It is bloodless, and the calves never go off of the feed. Some flinch a little when the band is put on, but most act like nothing is going on. It is a bander than has a rubber tubing, and it tightens up as you pull the ratchet handle. We do give a tetnus shot when we do it.
On taking the bull out, I would leave him in with the cows. He will be a happy camper if he gets to stay with his girls, he likes company too. He will just graze along with them. If for some reason, one missed on the breed back, he can take care of business. But I would move the weaned calves into another lot or pasture when the time comes to be seperated from the cows. Mostly the heifers when they are about 6 months old. We had one come into heat at 6 months old.

The ninth one was born with her eyes undeveloped, just little red sockets, blind as a bat. I had posted earlier about her. I feel we could have bottle fed her as her mother had given up on her nursing when we found her but decided a blind cow pet was a little much for now. I know the kids would have her named and she'd never make it to the table. I'm going to try the cow again and hope it was just a fluke but if it's not good this time to the sale she goes. I'll pick me up a bander at TSC for the calves and take your advice on the bull and the hiefers.

RC - I think he was talking about a Calicrate bander (or something along similar). This uses a band made of surgical hose and is the size of your little finger. Works well on big calves. REMEMBER to give a tetanus shot.

BC":3qimx0fk said:
RC - I think he was talking about a Calicrate bander (or something along similar). This uses a band made of surgical hose and is the size of your little finger. Works well on big calves. REMEMBER to give a tetanus shot.

we never give the calves a tetanus shot. The lambs we used to have needed them no matter what but we've never had any issues with the cattle.

RC, BC is right on! The Callicrate Smart Bander is what it is called. You can band a little bitty bull or a great big one. They act like they can't feel it most of the time. They just walk out of the chute, and start eating. Later on, their bag dries up and looks like a piece of leather hanging. Sometimes they smell funny after several days, :shock: but the main thing is that you don't have to worry about them bleeding to death, getting an infection, and going off the feed and losing weight. It is the only way to do it as far as I am concerned. It is a little pricey, but it makes up for it in not having to doctor a calf or losing weight. Shop around and you might find one cheaper somewhere else. Or ask Santa for one.
Here it is in the Jeffers catalog.
http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc...0UHE&dept_id=492&Area=cattle&browselist=&c=11
I hate to hear about the little calf with no eyes. Sometimes I am limited on time and how much time I can spend on the forum. I must have overlooked that one. That would have been tough on the kids. I can't imagine my parents letting me feed a calf, and getting attatched to it, when I was a kid, then telling me I had to eat it. They start that, "Take three bites and you can leave the table"....... I would have held a bad grudge on that deal. You just don't eat a pet. I think you handled that one well.

Sorry to hear about the blind calf.....we use the four fingered expander type bander with the green cheerios...band at two weeks, usually, may go longer if we have a calf that shows something and merits watching and we think his background is bull material. Alot of good advise....

Thanks for all the info and tips. I guess the only way not to loose stock is not to have stock. It's always painful to loose one though. Honestly I think it helps the children prepare for some of the hardships that come along.