Heifers... buying?

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
I'm buying some heifers soon, and I was wondering what everyone looks for in theirs. I already know what to look for, I just thought it would be interesting to see what criteria y'all use.

If its commercial heifers, I look at phenotype and constitution. I will never pick the bottom 25% with the poorer condition. I figure that the bottom 25% in condition has the weaker constitution and adapting to a new environment is going to be harder for them, doesn't matter how sound they are otherwise.

I also like to look at the dams of the heifers as this will tell you alot about what their udders are going to loook like and give you an idea about their milking ability. And of course try to see the sire as well.

For registered stock I look at the above as well as the pedigree and EBV's or EPD's in your case. I only put a lot of emphasis on BW, wean maternal (milk), wean direct and make sure the mature weight isn't extreme, as large animal are poorer doers in my area.

hope this helps

First thing I look at is disposition, stature for their age then a quick look at phenotype. These 3 are just to keep from wasting my time looking at something that isn;t going to fit in or work for us. Then I start picking them apart starting at the feet and legs, how the move, capacity, top line, length, slope from hooks to pins and width between the pins and tail head set. Pretty much the same thing I look for in any cattle.

dun