Heifers and cidrs

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
Quick question, I could not get a cidr for lack of better terms installed in a heifer today????? I never have had this problem before. I had a group of 3 replacement heifers and the other 2 no problem. all the same age. She was extremely worked up going in the chute, maybe that was it , maybe too immature? But after a few times I figured it was a no go at this time. Anyone ever had this trouble? what do you think??

Heifers can be difficult; it's a tight fit. All you can do is keep trying. Adding plenty of lube and gently twisting the CIDR back and forth on the way in has worked for me.

Nobodys else has had trouble putting in cidrs in heifers? I guess its just me.

I have never put a cidr in a heifer but could it be that the heifer is a free Martin?
I had that same thought. Sometimes one twin is abandoned by the cow and dies and it is never noticed that the surviving calf is a twin. Or the other calf is adopted by another just calved cow and it is assumed she had the twin. But it can take extra effort to insert a CIDR in a heifer. They are called virgin heifers for a reason. I just wiggle and rotate and push a little harder and then it pops in. But nervous that I might damage something in there. Heifer fidgets and does not like it one bit.

did not have a problem with a heifer but tried installing a CIDR in a mature cow this year but was unable to insert far enough. she has had a CIDR installed every year since and including when she was a heifer. not sure why. CIDR was out by the next morning which I expected. cow did get a shot of PG when CIDRs removed from the rest of cows/heifers and had a standing heat with the others. Have been using CIDRs for probably last 5 years or better and gun is well lubed and turn while applying a little pressure as buck has suggested. I think it just depends on how everything in there is situated on that day. will be interesting to hear back if you retry or if heifer cycles without CIDR.

Buck is exactly right, even some cows can tighten up so much from nerves that they can initially keep that cidr from going in (it feels like your hitting a wall) once the animal settles a bit, lube and patience is about all you can rely on - you'll get it.

Remember to angle the CIDR gun upward like you would with an AI pipette to avoid the urethra. That also helps guide it over the pelvic muscles

Yes remember the direction is up and over the pelvis before going in and then working it back and forward as in copulation.
The only one I could not get it in was a mixed sex twin, I just had try my luck to see if I could score that 6% chance she would be good.

Ken

thanks for the replies. I will go try again in my next group.
To answer the free martin question, no she is not.
This board has always been my go to when I have had questions. Thanks again

Latest posts