Heifers all AI’d today

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I am going to have to fire our bookkeeper. Oh wait I am the bookkeeper, dang that is going to make for an awkward conversation with me. I work hard selecting matings, the bookkeeper screwed up and didn't record the use of one of the sires on the inventory. So today I had to make chute-side decisions on who to breed four of the heifers to. I had originally planned to breed 6 heifers to SAV Priority 7283 not one of the best known SAV bulls but one I sampled and really liked. We only had two straws of him left so I ended up using Rainfall on three of them and Final Answer on another. In addition to the three bulls mentioned we used some SAV Pioneer, Coleman Charlo and Coleman Engage. Tomorrow we start setting up about 90 head one group for AI and another for ET work so of course rain forecast is 80% rain. We are starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel and only have donor shots on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, that is a blessing.

Gizmom

Always good to see the light of being done!!!!
Got the last of my heifers done yesterday, breedn on natural heat, never again, to strung out!!!! Last shots to donors yesterday, so breed Fri along with a few to A I, wait on repeats from first breeding next 8 days, then bull time.
Hope the rain there doesn't make the amount of mud we have here...

It was as nasty a day as you could find for working cows. I am counting my blessings that it wasn't terribly cold but it was sure nuff wet!

This was the group we had to set up for AI

This was one of our pens by the working area

Just nasty

The mud is muddy

The boss was a little wet.

We set up around 90 head for AI and ET work today, I am glad I am back home and drying out.

Gizmom

Vince

He smiles because he has been married to me for ( next month) 40 years....and survived! Today is windy wet and cold so we are both happy we didn't have to work them today, we both prefer wet and warm to wet windy and cold. Are y'all ready for Christmas? The boss swears I am trying to kill him this year I have made three batches of candy and lost count of the cookies. Not good with a diabetic in the house. Hopefully I will get it all delivered today to remove the temptation from us both!

Gizmom

gizmom":3494ez2b said:
Vince

He smiles because he has been married to me for ( next month) 40 years....and survived! Today is windy wet and cold so we are both happy we didn't have to work them today, we both prefer wet and warm to wet windy and cold. Are y'all ready for Christmas? The boss swears I am trying to kill him this year I have made three batches of candy and lost count of the cookies. Not good with a diabetic in the house. Hopefully I will get it all delivered today to remove the temptation from us both!

Gizmom
You know how our story goes, my wife loves to bake and cook and I like to eat. Then she's on my case for putting on weight. Yes we're ready Christmas but we're not blessed with twins spoil and enjoy. 40 is a big number congratulations, hopefully we'll see it in 6 years.

Jeanne
I can't imagine how difficult it would be to lose a spouse, it sounds like you were blessed with a good one. We met in 4-H back in the 70's, we were great friends long before marriage. He is still my best friend. We work cows again tomorrow, we have even reached the point that we can work 90 head and not have a cross word! Trust me thirty years ago that wasn't the case lots of yelling and fussing went on, my feelings would get hurt, he would lose his patience with me for not doing something as fast as needed, I was never where he thought I should be. Last Thursday we set up 90 for AI and ET work, the photos show how nasty it was. From the weather reports tomorrow won't be any better, rain coming in and flood conditions predicted. The good news is we only have to pull cidr's and give shots. We should be able to stack them in the chute and ally and move through the group pretty fast. We will be doing AI work on Sunday, good thing the boss got me some new muck boots for Christmas they should come in handy over the next few days. Hope you all had a great Christmas!

Gizmom

GM,
Glad you got some of yours done. We get to sort cows (because we dont AI all of them) and put CIDRs in Saturday.. Gonna be a mess in the pens after tonight/tomorrow. Good luck with the ET work.. Merry Christmas.