heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Moocow11

Reaction score
my heifer is putting on to much fat i am starting to see her "rolls" ont he sides of her face and things i was wondering what i should do

oh my goodness karlton! what the heck are you feeding her?! i would defenetly be cutting back on her food. it kinda depends on what your feeding her now.

Cut back feed. More exercise. Do you turn her out at night? Is she with other calves? Do you walk her during your daily routine?

Jay

jaydill":1k9de4le said:
Cut back feed. More exercise. Do you turn her out at night? Is she with other calves? Do you walk her during your daily routine?

Jay

Do the things Jaydill has mentioned. Cut back her feed to 2% of body weight, but not all at once; gradually. After two weeks on the diet, if she cleans up all her feed in 5 minutes, or less, start adding about 2 additional pounds of whole oats.

she is in with 3 other heifers. they are in about 200x200 pen . all 4 of them get a bag of feed in the morning and a bag at night so 25lbs each. i already get up at 4:30 am i dont have time to tye them up and feed them individauly.
this is what is in 25lbs of their feed
15 lbs of cracked corn
5 lbs of cotton seed hulls
2.5 lbs oats
1.25 lbs soybean meal
1.25 lbs mollase

and she weighs about 700lbs and she dont have a minimum weight to make or any thing she just needs to look the best she can

Moocow11":1ptesf1p said:
she is in with 3 other heifers. they are in about 200x200 pen . all 4 of them get a bag of feed in the morning and a bag at night so 25lbs each. i already get up at 4:30 am i dont have time to tye them up and feed them individauly.
15 lbs of cracked corn
2.5 lbs oats
1.25 lbs soybean meal
1.25 lbs mollase

they're each getting that much? it may just be me, but personally i think your feeding her alot. expecially if you arnt making a minimum weight. i would cut back on the corn a cotton seed hulls keep the oats, and doesnt soybean meal pack on the pounds too? or maybe that soybean hulls? i dont know. but cut back on the feed.

Moocow11":28pk508t said:
15 lbs of cracked corn
2.5 lbs oats
1.25 lbs soybean meal
1.25 lbs mollase
So she gets 12.5 in the morning and 12.5 at night or 25 twice a day? I understood it as 25 twice

Cottonseeds are not a very good thing to be feeding heifers, it can maKe them not as fertile, so I would change that to beet pulp instead if I were you. That has seemed to work great for me.

Cottonseeds are not a very good thing to be feeding heifers, it can maKe them not as fertile, so I would change that to beet pulp instead if I were you. That has seemed to work great for me.

Definately sounds like she's eating way too much. It makes it harder if you have four heifers together, since it's probably safe to assume the fat heifer is eating more than the others.

If you can find out which ones are eating less or slower and put them seperate, and feed the fat heifer alone so she's not eating all the other's feed, you won't waste so much. And with the price of feed, it would be worth your while!