Heifer YW question

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Not sure where to put this but I was just going over some papers on WW and YW 's. Here is my question..

If heifers are weened at 6-8 months and average 610 lbs what should be an expected YW ? These are breeding heifers and not grain fed.

What should their average monthly gain be after weening ?

Thank you.. :)

With just stockpiled fescue or hay ours average from weaning to yearling 2.5 - 3.0 lbs a day. Depends on the heifer

Thanks Dun and AC. :tiphat:

I was comparing this years YW's to the last 2 years and this years were a lot higher on average. 07/08 was the worst for my younger heifers , a long, brutal, cold winter sure makes a difference. But they are back to where they all should be. Some of my heifers that were bred last year I thought they were almost to small but when you see them now with their calf at side you would never have even suspected..

hillsdown":l1ietjoa said:
Thanks Dun and AC. :tiphat:

I was comparing this years YW's to the last 2 years and this years were a lot higher on average. 07/08 was the worst for my younger heifers , a long, brutal, cold winter sure makes a difference. But they are back to where they all should be. Some of my heifers that were bred last year I thought they were almost to small but when you see them now with their calf at side you would never have even suspected..

Ours usually average about 1.5 to 2 lbs/ day. That is on hay and a little grain (4-5 lbs). This year, we haven't weighed them, so I'm not sure what the replacements did. But our backgrounders didn't average 1 lb/day. The long, cold winter really set them back. They looked good, just didn't gain much.

Our heifers usually weigh around 600 lbs in October, and are in the high 700's to mid 800's by March.

Latest posts