Heifer With Pneumonia

Help Support CattleToday:

kucala5

Reaction score
Heifer has pneumonia for about 3 weeks now, she's got a 4 month old calf on her, body condition is pretty poor. She got 3 shots of Nuflor as directed by the vet I'd say 2 weeks ago. She was on the mend after the shots, no discharge, breathing much better. We just checked the cows and she is bleeding from her nose with labored breathing again. Not a bloody discharge, bleeding. Suggestions?

Just a reminder: Nuflor is an antibiotic. There are bacterial organisms that cause BRD (Bovine Respiratory disease). An antibiotic might work for them but it will not be effective for viral respiratory diseases. If the pneumonia is viral, the antibiotic will not be the cure.

That's what I was afraid of. Where did we go wrong? We really strive to be good stewards so losing one due to our actions or lack there of is difficult.

Be sure you are vaccinating for viral pneumonia. BECAUSE ANTIBIOTICS DON'T WORK ON VIRUSES. The main viral causes of pneumonia in cattle include Infectious Bovine Rhinotracheitis (IBR), Parainfluenza 3 (PI3), Bovine Respiratory Syncyntial Virus (BRSV) and Bovine Viral Diarrhea Virus (BVD). There are numerous vaccines that cover this combination. Personally, I use Bovi Shield Gold FP 5 VL5. That covers vibrio and lepto in addition to IBR, PI3, BRSV AND BVD.

Warning: that is a MLV - modified live virus preparation. Mind the instructions and don't administer to cows not previously exposed if that are with calf.

kucala5":xxt1m0t3 said:
Heifer has pneumonia for about 3 weeks now, she's got a 4 month old calf on her, body condition is pretty poor. She got 3 shots of Nuflor as directed by the vet I'd say 2 weeks ago. She was on the mend after the shots, no discharge, breathing much better. We just checked the cows and she is bleeding from her nose with labored breathing again. Not a bloody discharge, bleeding. Suggestions?
Here's a good one to hit her with...https://youtu.be/RTv9e9XCqnk

Resflor Gold is florfenicol and flunixin meglumine (banamine). It is an antibacterial and the flunixin meglumine is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. According to the Merch Vet Manual, it targets the bacteria Mannheimia haemolytica, Pasteurella multocida, Histophilus somni, and Mycoplasma bovis. Those are the primary bacteria that cause Bacterial Bovine Respiratory Pneumonia. The difference between Resflor Gold and Nuflor is that Resflor Gold contains the banamine. They both are florfenicol.

Just be aware, resflor gold will not treat viral pneumonia.

Latest posts