Heifer with mastitis

Help Support CattleToday:

Scottish Lass

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a Newby to the site and would like to ask if someone out there can give me some advise please.

I have a year old Heifer not in calf with Mastitis in one quater of her udder.
Our area has been plauged with a lot of flies this year and I think she may have got the infection from this, as the herd has spent most of the year out on the grazing land.

I have been given all sorts of tips and stuff but I am not sure what is the best way of clearing this problem as I have not had anything like this before.
I have given her Penicillin injections but to no avail.

The vet told us that there is nothing much you can do with the problem.

I have also been told that you can put a small tube into the tit to clear this problem, but I do not want to put her under any undue stress if this is an old wife tale.

Can anyone offer me a solution and is it dangerous for her to have this problem?

Thank you for looking at my post anyway look forward to hearing from you.

What's put out for you will not go by you.

I think that most of the time, a problem with a heifers udder is from another heifer sucking her.
Anyway, the "tube" method you are talking about is probably an antibiotic like Today or Tomorrow. Haven't had any experience at trying to treat a virgin heifer - not sure if you CAN put the tip of the tube INTO the teat???
Where's Milkmaid - she'll know.
By the way, welcome to the board.
Hard to believe vet didn't have a solution for you. I thought all mastitis was treatable.
Another thought, if a heifer WAS sucking her, it may just be that she has come into her milk in that quarter. In that case, you would use Tomorrow for a dry off treatment.

Hi Jeanne,

Thank you for your kind welcome and response to my plight.
Yes the Vet did state there is nothing much I can do other than give her antibiotics.
Which to date have had no real effect.
I had never thought of another Heifer sucking her and to be honest I have not seen any of them doing so.

She is our prized Show Limousin and this problem only came up about four weeks ago, we have a show in a fortnights time and as she has been getting top prizes in the past, I feel this will go against her poor soul.

I have also heard that there is some sort of tar mixture you can put on the udder but I am not sure if this is of any use, as the Vet say's that has little effect either.

General antibiotics will work after a fashion but it will take time. Can you express any fluid from the teat? If so one of the direct mammary injections like Jeanne mentioned can be done. If it's just a hard lump that you can;t get anything out of, the antibiotics and alot of hoping is about all that can be done.

dun

If its a infection the antibiotics should take care if it. Maybe take a week or so to notice improvement. Maybe your heifer has a growth, like a cyst or tumor. If antibiotics don't work I think it's likely. Good Luck.

mnmt

Hi All,

This morning the swelling appear to have gone down a little maybe the Penicillin is starting to work.
Dun asked if I could express anything from the udder the answer is no it is dry.
Jeanne suggested Tomorrow, I am not sure if this is available over here, but will ask the Vet for an equivelant.
I could buy it over the net from America, but our Law's on administration of medicine's to animals is very stringent, so I would have to consult the Vet on that if he could not suggest anything else.
Thank you for your suggestions.
PS
I am sorry to see that some of you are not getting any rain, I just wish it would stop raining once it starts that's it for day's, our fields have been flooded a few times this year already.
Kindest Regards to you all.

Latest posts