heifer with many small wounds on dewlap

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Allspark is a yearling black baldy, bottle calf. She has all appropriate vaccines and dewormings since birth. I have recently noticed many small scabs from her throat area to her brisket/dewlap area. They seem very itchy because when I rub them, her eyes roll back in her head and stands very still to be scratched. When I pull these small scabs off her neck there is fresh skin underneath it. I fly spray her not as often as I should. These scabs are only on the aforementioned areas. She currently lives with two horses and an older suffolk wether. No other animals have any scabs on them. She has lived with the sheep since birth, the horses for about 2 months now. She lives in Sacramento, CA and fed grass and alfalfa hay twice daily. She seems in good health, bright, alert, responsive. Thank you for your help! :wave:

My guess without any photos would be ringworm or some other type of fungus, in which case I wouldn't keep scratching it with my hands.

I'm pretty sure it's not ringworm, I've seen that on cattle before and I don't think it's that. I have had ringworm before, so if it is I will for sure get it! (Not that I enjoy it, by any means) Some small scabs have blood underneath, I noticed a larger scab/wound that has opened up and some blood was present.

She lives in the Sacramento, CA area. Hot weather right now. I thought about insect bites, seems weird to be just in the dewlap area and throat area! I was reading in one of my cattle books, maybe some type of mite?

sure sounds like ringworm...plenty of pictures on here if you do a search and look at some of the types that have been posted you may solve your mystery.

Take some iodine and rub it in good with your hands. Yup hands, the iodine will protect you and wash well after.

My dad suggested the iodine to put on the small wounds/sores. As much as I've touched the area, I still have no ringworm and I am very susceptible to it. I get ringworm without even being around anyone or anything that has it. I will try the iodine for her and see what happens. Anyone have idea about scabies or mites being the culprit?

Latest posts