heifer with large swelling on back leg

Help Support CattleToday:

carla

Reaction score
The heifer had a large swelling on her back leg. Tried to get her up a couple of times without success. The large swelling busted on its own and I can see it leaking stuff. There is still quite a bit of swelling but not near as bad. What do you think caused this and what would you suggest that I do? Think rusty barbwire might of had anything to do with this? Thanks for your help!!

Sounds like an abscess, but you didn't describe the discharge. Frankly, an abscess usually has a stench which can knock you off your feet. Even a dirty needle can cause one, so anything which penetrates the skin is suspect--barbed wire can definitely do this.

If it is an abscess, the heifer will have much less swelling, but requires antibiotics if she isn't already getting them. I also usually flush and debride the abscess to remove all necrotic tissue.

Good Luck
V

Vicky the vet":38wdmquw said:
If it is an abscess, the heifer will have much less swelling, but requires antibiotics if she isn't already getting them. I also usually flush and debride the abscess to remove all necrotic tissue.

Good Luck
V

Debride?????

I had this happen to a horse at work a few months ago. we did just as Dr. Vicki said---hydroed, cut away necrotic tissue, started her on antibiotics (we used TMPS) and wrapped her. hydroed her about every day or every other day depending on how her wrap looked. I would imagine this would be A TON easier with a horse than a heifer, unless of course she is a show heifer. I bet you didnt have chicken noodle soup to eat today though!

frenchie":1pj3dwnr said:
Debride?????
Debride means to remove necrotic tissue or non viable tissue, generally with scrubbing or cutting. With an abscess, I'll use gauze and iodine most of the time. I'll occasionally debride with a scalpel, but that's not my usual method.

I have another question about this heifer. Is she down?

I was wondering that too. you said you tried to get her up several times. does that mean you tried to get her to stand, or your tried to catch her (get her penned up)? Also where on the leg are we talking about? is it near a joint?

She is on a rental pasture without a corral. At the moment she is getting around fine. The wound is above her joint on the back leg. It busted on it's own but can still see some swelling. I have not noticed any smell when I was near her. It is leaking a kind of murky colored liquid. Haven't noticed any blood.

Latest posts