Heifer with cough?

Help Support CattleToday:

Tin Man

Reaction score
I have a heifer calf around 350 lbs. that is weaned, it has a dry cough and a running nose thats thick and white. Its has had a 7-way and nuflor. its been two weeks and its not better but its not worst. so what should I do now? Thanks

Tin Man":1zt9pmk4 said:
I have a heifer calf around 350 lbs. that is weaned, it has a dry cough and a running nose thats thick and white. Its has had a 7-way and nuflor. its been two weeks and its not better but its not worst. so what should I do now? Thanks
It is always helpful to know what the temp is. Nuflor is a very good drug. I am wondering if maybe the shot of nuflor put a dent in her illness, but didn't cure what ails her and she needed another dose of it (explaining why she is not getting either better or worse). At this point I would not use the nuflor again, but would switch to another high power antibiotic and re-dose it (all this hinges on the assumption that she has an elevated temp.). If it is pneumonia, her lungs are scarring, and she will suffer in the summer.

Tin Man":3vipy71i said:
would LA 200 help at all or do i need some thing esle.
I would use Micotil, Baytril or Draxxin. Seems everybody has a favorite, but I think any one of those would be a good option for you. Re-dosing with whatever you choose is important, even if you think her symptoms are better.

LA 200 is no better for this than a kiss on her forehead.

I would try Draxxin.
As mentioned above I would have gave her another shot of Nuflor or Resflor after a week.Have you gave her a shot of B12?
I was told to give them Probias when giving them a shot of the stronger medicines.

It is always helpful to give Probias whenever you give any form of antibiotic - especially to young stock.
"LA 200 is no better for this than a kiss on her forehead." :clap: :clap: I love how you put it! and yes, that is soooo true. Not saying LA200 isn't a good product - for foot rot or pinkeye - but not for respiratory.

use draxxin,it always works for me.it sounds as if u r pretty new and i would definately advise against using micotil.i have heard it works good but its very dangerous if u accidentally inject urself or even get any on your skin.

Latest posts