Heifer vomiting?

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus86

Reaction score
I have this particular heifer who has thrown up previously on grass only and I had thought she ate something bad. Recently I over fed them on corn and most were upset yet this girl was either regurgitating or vomiting. One time a bit with force and looked like a good amount came out her nose.

Does anyone know what causes this?

It would be stuff that has built up in her oesophagus and not made it into the rumen because there has been a temporary impaction there, similar to the apple that angus9259 has seen. It would seem that the texture of what you are feeding her she has difficulty swallowing it properly.

I used to see it occaisionally in horses eating lucerne hay from the ground we called it "choke" and would have to work it through with a stomach tube and sometimes with the help of a softener. With those horses I found feeding them from a hay net or elevated feeder helped to slow them down, extend the neck and aided by gravity, also those with rugs on the neck strap would dig in restricting swallowing when eating off the ground.

Ken

No apples here. No more vomiting but she's sore in the back feet wonder if she has some laminitis. No more corn here hay only for a good while.

Beginning to sound like "founder".Could there have been a bowel obstruction? I seem to remember a bull we had getting off feed for that reason.Vet prescribed laxxative.It took care of him

I think founder is the issue. Too many carbs too quickly ...I screwed up. Now I guess as soon as she's better if at all I should send her to the market to avoid future issues.