Heifer vaccinations

Help Support CattleToday:

SDM

Reaction score
I bought these last year with the intent of them being feeder/stocker cattle but they weren't worth a whole lot back in the fall so here they remain. I hope to have them AI bred in June. This will put them over two years at the first calf but that's ok. I'm not making money and hopefully that'll reduce calving issues. They were wormed and given a 7way when I bought them early last summer. I plan to worm in the next couple weeks before putting them on grass. What else should they get in addition to the wormer?

[image]257[/image]

[image]256[/image]

1. The 7 way (vaccination covering 7 species of Clostridial bacteria in the Blackleg group) would be up for annual revaccination.

2. Second would be a Fetal Protection vaccine for the 5 viruses that can result in respiratory/reproductive disease.

3. Third would be a Leptospira vaccine covering the 5 Leptospira bacteria that can also cause reproductive disease.

4. Fourth, vibriosis (Campylobacter) vaccine which normally comes in a combination with the Leptospira vaccine.

You can get some Fetal Protection vaccines that cover the five viruses including vibro and Leptospira. For example, Bovi Shield Gold FP 5 VL5 covers the FP 5, vibriosis and the 5 Leptospira. That makes the last three groups only one vaccine.

If you are curious what number 2 covers, the Fetal Protection viruses, here it is:
Infectious Bovine Rhinotracheitis (IBR)
Bovine Viral Diarrhea (BVD) Type 1 & 2
Parainfluenza3 (PI3)
Bovine Respiratory Syncytial Virus (BRSV)

One last suggestion, make sure the Leptospira vaccine covers Hardjo bovis. It will be designated as HB on the box.

Thank you, are there any timing concerns...should these be given a certain number of days ahead of breeding?

SDM said:
Thank you, are there any timing concerns...should these be given a certain number of days ahead of breeding?

Make sure you administer the fetal protection vaccine more than 30 days before AI so it does not interfere with the estrus cycle. This applies when the FP vaccine is a Modified Live Virus preparation. Which Bovi Shield Gold is.

If it were me, I would go ahead and vaccinate with the 7 Way now. Then about 50 days before AI, I would administer the Bovi Shield Gold FP 5 VL5 HB. Vaccinating for too many organisms at the same time can overwhelm their immune system and you may not get a good response.

Bright Raven said:
SDM said:

Make sure you administer the fetal protection vaccine more than 30 days before AI so it does not interfere with the estrus cycle. This applies when the FP vaccine is a Modified Live Virus preparation. Which Bovi Shield Gold is.

If it were me, I would go ahead and vaccinate with the 7 Way now. Then about 50 days before AI, I would administer the Bovi Shield Gold FP 5 VL5 HB. Vaccinating for too many organisms at the same time can overwhelm their immune system and you may not get a good response.

If convenient Ron, if not convenient they can be given same time in opposite sides of the neck skin. We actually use Vision 8S for a clostridial for the H Somnus coverage. It is only pennies more in cost.

gcreekrch said:
Bright Raven said:
SDM said:

If convenient Ron, if not convenient they can be given same time in opposite sides of the neck skin. We actually use Vision 8S for a clostridial for the H Somnus coverage. It is only pennies more in cost.

I use Bovi Shield Gold FP 5. I like that it is an MLV preparation. To my knowledge, it is not offered in a combination with H. somnus. It comes in combo with Vibrio, Leptospira, Mannheimia haemolyticum, but not somnus.

Bright Raven said:
gcreekrch said:
Bright Raven said:

I use Bovi Shield Gold FP 5. I like that it is an MLV preparation. To my knowledge, it is not offered in a combination with H. somnus. It comes in combo with Vibrio, Leptospira, Mannheimia haemolyticum, but not somnus.

Vision 8S is a clostridial vaccine with H Somnus added. We use the Bovishield Gold FP5 VL5 on all breeding livestock.

gcreekrch said:
Bright Raven said:
gcreekrch said:

Vision 8S is a clostridial vaccine with H Somnus added. We use the Bovishield Gold FP5 VL5 on all breeding livestock.

You got it covered well Dave. Cheaper than whiskey. :cboy:

Thank you both. I think I have a plan now. I can split it into two trips through the head gate pretty easy.

Latest posts