Heifer thrashing her leg

Help Support CattleToday:

kjonesel

Reaction score
Went to check on the cows tonight and found a 17 month old heifer laying off by herself. I went to get her up, she was reluctant but finally got up and went to the barn. She was slightly humped back and was holding her tail up. She had no discharge but wanted to lay back down. After being offered some grain and taking a couple of drinks of fresh water she went back to laying down. I took her temp and she had 102.8 so I injected her with Baytril and drenched her with two quarts of electrolytes. She got up and walked around for a few minutes then laid back down and began to thrash her rear leg like she was uncomfortable. I can't say I have seen anything quite like this, any ideas?

I had a heifer calf do something like that when she was about a month old.. I don't know what caused it in her case but it sure makes me curious to know about yours.. (mine is about 19 months old now and hasn't had another "episode" since).
Hope you find out what's up with her!

Kicking at the stomach is usually acidosis and or bloat - but that would be odd on dry hay. Could also be constipated/intestinal blockage. Its pain that causes them to kick their stomach.

Supa Dexta":2v1m5k8g said:
Kicking at the stomach is usually acidosis and or bloat - but that would be odd on dry hay. Could also be constipated/intestinal blockage. Its pain that causes them to kick their stomach.
I would think maybe constipated.

Went out this AM and found her dead. She was with a bull. At this time I think it may have been some type of infection such as a UTI but it was connected to her straining/pushing but would a bowel blockage lead to a high fever?

I don;t think of 102.8 as really being a high temperature. Probably in the more or ess normal range if the ambient temp is high or she had been in the sun. I would sure cut her open and look around to see what I could find.

Had something similar happen to a bull. Vet said it was an abdominal twist (inguinal tortion?? I don't remember actual term) - very painful to cattle days vet. he said it was the only thing he's seen that makes them react with that much pain. Mine lived. Vet says it all depends on wether it flips back.