Heifer Sync

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

Reaction score
Anybody use this protocol? Trying to tighten up our breeding window this year as we're more strapped for time than usual. Somebody forgot to tell the little sister not to get married during breeding season.

IMAGE1C8805A94E008858_zpsozk8i2gb.jpg

We also do the 7 day. Breed them all timed ai on the 9th dya. We do not heat detect.

Hogtiming":2qabrbwy said:
We also do the 7 day. Breed them all timed ai on the 9th dya. We do not heat detect.

I can't bring myself to not heat detect. The one year we tried to TAI a large group of cows and heifers we had abysmal conception rates. May have been the Tech as it was before I learned how to breed but I just hate the thought of chancing it.

We average about 70 percent doing it. Some years better some worse. I will heat detect what I missed tai if I hg have the time

Jake":175wt2ju said:
Hogtiming":175wt2ju said:

I can't bring myself to not heat detect. The one year we tried to TAI a large group of cows and heifers we had abysmal conception rates. May have been the Tech as it was before I learned how to breed but I just hate the thought of chancing it.
. I just do not have much faith in techs. I have used them with conception rates all over the place from 30 to 80 percent

We use the 14 day I think it works good have had decent success with it and over the 14 days the heifers get used to the routine and stay a lot calmer it leads to a better outcome

I have in the past synced and bred on heat and resynced non responders and bred them on time and got 70 percent on the resyncs...

I used that when cidrs first came out. It wasn't a named protocol way back then. :lol: I don't remember how well it worked but I do remember that I did it a few times because the results were better than the other protocols I tried at the time. I've played with pre-sync protocols for years. If you understand the reproductive cycle they will always beat sync protocols that breed on the first syncronized cycle.

cow pollinater":1ujgt0k2 said:
I used that when cidrs first came out. It wasn't a named protocol way back then. :lol: I don't remember how well it worked but I do remember that I did it a few times because the results were better than the other protocols I tried at the time. I've played with pre-sync protocols for years. If you understand the reproductive cycle they will always beat sync protocols that breed on the first syncronized cycle.

We hit 73% on the first cycle this past year with just a shot of prostaglandin(lut). Second shot of prostaglandin(estrumate) 10 days later we only hit 33%.

Not sure if it was the drug or why it was so bad. Won't waste my time again trying to re-sync the non responders. They will just get the bull.

I like the 14 day, works well if you have the time and planning. Some will have a little mild heat after pulling the cidr but don't breed em stay the course.

Jake":1bvy5dib said:
cow pollinater":1bvy5dib said:

We hit 73% on the first cycle this past year with just a shot of prostaglandin(lut). Second shot of prostaglandin(estrumate) 10 days later we only hit 33%.

Not sure if it was the drug or why it was so bad. Won't waste my time again trying to re-sync the non responders. They will just get the bull.
Try day seven. :D

cow pollinater":u5c7bae1 said:
Jake":u5c7bae1 said:
cow pollinater":u5c7bae1 said:

Try day seven. :D

Problem with us weekend farmers is it doesn't work real well when they come in during the week. :cboy:

Jake":2jdds2b4 said:

Why not stay with one shot and 73% ?

Stocker Steve":k48d4j2a said:
Jake":k48d4j2a said:

Because you only get 70-80% respondents with one shot of prostaglandin. So on 50 head you only end up with half of them ai bred. Doesn't seem worth the time. So would like to get to 95%+ respondents.

Jake":2n2t40iz said:

Because you only get 70-80% respondents with one shot of prostaglandin. So on 50 head you only end up with half of them ai bred. Doesn't seem worth the time. So would like to get to 95%+ respondents.[/quote]

I get the math. After a couple days of observed heat AI - - I then give the shot. After that I am willing to let the bulls earn their keep.

My issue is always the time constraint. And I'm too cheap to pay someone that I don't trust to do a better job than I can do.

pdfangus":2jqqokr8 said:
Cow pollinator
Whatis your opinion of the michigan g6g proocol

I have had pretty goodluck with it
It is effective but quite a few trips through the chute.
I designed a very similar program for a few of my dairy herds and as far as I know it's still in use. The simplest way to presync is one does of lut and then start the standard ovsync with a cidr four days later. On the dairies my program started at DIM=30 and they got lut shots every fourteen days and when their production peaked we enrolled them on ovsync four days after their last lut shot. It was a daily deal like clockwork where I'd send a guy out with a list of about a hundred cows to find that needed their shot that particular day. We were able to eliminate having the vet do fresh checks in the herds that used the program.

Latest posts